Chapter 18

Hope stepped tentatively into the dorm room after Lizzie. Her eyes swept over the Saltzman twins' room.
Lizzie's side was decorated in a way Hope couldn't have even begun to imagine. It was home to numerous potted plants, hundreds of inspirational quotes scrawled across colored paper, and quite the collection of herbs and potions scattered across her dresser.
Josie's side, on the other hand, was exactly as Hope had pictured it. Discarded uniforms littered the floor and an overflowing closet only added to the mess, but everything aside from the clothes was pristine and carefully arranged, from the photos of Josie and her friends to the makeup on her vanity.
Hope didn't get to look for long. Lizzie dropped a large gift box onto her bed and stared at Hope expectantly.
"Since Josie ruined your dress," Lizzie said loudly, "I see only one solution: you can wear our mother's dress."
Hope smiled tentatively. "You know I have plenty of dresses, right?"
"It's not about the dress." Lizzie drew her shoulders up. "It's about Josie."
Hope crossed her arms and glanced back at Josie's side of the room.
"At least look at the dress."
"Fine." Hope kept her arms crossed as Lizzie opened the box and pulled the protective paper. She didn't uncross her arms until she saw the familiar blue fabric. The smallest of smiles spread across her lips, still stifled by surprise.
"You recognize it, right?" Lizzie asked.
"Yeah." Hope let the smile blossom fully. Lizzie thought it was a beautiful thing. Hope didn't smile like this often. "It was my dad's."
"I think it's fitting that you win in this dress." Lizzie started to pull it out of the box, carefully gathering all the folds. Hope couldn't watch the dress. She could only stare at Lizzie.
"Thank you," she managed finally, after Lizzie had spread the dress out across her flowery comforter. She hadn't expected such a soft and touching kindness out of Lizzie - Lizzie who was known for her witty insults and biting name-calling, who was known for thinking of no one but herself, who was known for not being able to hold a friendship for the life of her.
"You deserve it."