Chapter 37

Caroline knocked on the door to the twins’ bedroom gently. “You busy?”
Josie closed the notebook in her lap. “Nope. What’s up?”
“I saw that Hope Mikaelson wore my dress to Miss Mystic Falls.” Caroline leaned her shoulder against the doorframe.
“Yeah …”
“Are you friends with her now?” There was a sour note to her voice. 
“No.” Josie shook her head adamantly. “Absolutely not. Lizzie is the one who gave her the dress.” She sighed. “I wanted to wear it, actually.”
Caroline crossed her arms, still trying to appear casual. “So, Lizzie and Hope are friends then?”
Josie shrugged. “I didn’t even know they knew each other and then all of a sudden they’re all buddy-buddy.”
“They’re close enough for Lizzie to give her your dress?”
“Apparently.”
“Did you say anything to Lizzie about it?”
“Of course I did!” Josie cried loudly. “She didn't listen. She just told me that it was only fair that Hope wore it.”
“Why would it be fair?”
“Because Hope’s dress got ruined.” Josie looked away when she lied, hoping her mother wouldn't notice. “And because Lizzie said it came from Hope’s dad or something.”
“It doesn’t matter what’s fair or who the dress came from! What have I always told you girls about Hope Mikaelson?”
“To stay away from her, I know! I’m not the one befriending her.” Josie leaned forward, face scrunching up defensively.  “So yell at Lizzie about it, not me.”
“Well you’re the one who lit her first dress on fire so I’m yelling at you too." Caroline snapped. “That’s not staying away from her!”
Josie’s eyes widened. How did her mother know what she had done? Josie hadn’t told a soul.
“Yeah,” Caroline said, nodding like she could read her daughter's mind. “Lizzie knows about it and so do I. That’s detention on Saturday.”
Josie tilted her head back defiantly. “For burning her dress or for not staying away?”
“Detention starts at nine,” Caroline said instead, closing the door firmly behind her as she left.