Chapter 47

“Did you hear …?” 
It wasn’t the first whisper Hope had heard directed at her that morning. 
“... the prophecy …”
Hope rolled her eyes and clutched her books closer to her chest. She tried to pretend like she couldn't hear them.
“... kill us all …”
Every snippet she heard, a new muscle in her body tightened. 
“Why is she still here?”
“... can’t say I’m surprised …”
“Don’t look at her.”
“She’s a Mikaelson after all.”
As soon as she heard that word, she whipped around to glare at the witch who had said it. “Who did you hear it from?” she demanded without hesitation, biting down on the impulse to liquify her brain on the spot.
The witch just stared at her steadily, chin tilting up to look down even more at Hope.
“Tell me or I start the destruction of all witches with you.” 
The witch still didn’t look convinced, so Hope raised her spell-casting hand, only trying to decide between giving her permanent hives that got worse anytime she tried to hide them or trapping her at the bottom of the lake with her life linked to one of the watching vampires so she could drown over and over again. 
But then she spotted the brown-haired witch in the corner, hand covering her giggling mouth, and a large group of students gathered around her.
“Nevermind,” Hope said, not once taking her eyes off Josie Saltzman. The anger burned inside of her. For a minute, Hope thought it might burn her alive, but she knew she couldn’t do anything now, in front of everyone. Instead, she replayed Lizzie’s words inside her head, over and over again. 
And then we’re gonna get some much-needed revenge on Josie.
The promise of a well planned-out vengeance later was enough for Hope to turn and walk away from Josie’s smug expression.