Chapter 54

Josie’s lower lip shook, eyes brimming with tears. “What do you mean she’s dead?” 
Alaric swallowed heavily. “It happened a few hours ago.” 
“Does Mom know?” 
“Not yet.”
“Mm-mm.” Josie shook her head as tears spilled down her face. “She’s not dead.”
“Josie …” Alaric moved to hug his daughter but she jumped backwards.
“No! No.” Her head continued to fly back and forth, vehemently denying it. “She’s my twin. If she died, I would’ve felt it. I would’ve felt something!” Josie’s hands fell into her lap helplessly. “She can’t be …” She sniffled loudly - just once - before she drew her shoulders up, breathing deeply, and rubbed her puffy face. “Who’s fault is it?”
“That’s not -”
Who killed my sister?” Josie demanded wetly. 
Alaric’s face crumpled, his eyes dropping from his only daughter’s face. “Klaus Mikaelson killed her. But it’s my fault.” He brushed tears away roughly with the back of his hand. “Mine and your mother’s. No one else’s.”
“No …” Josie shook her head again, much slower this time. “No, Klaus Mikaelson is dead.”
She knew it was true. Their mother had always told them about how she defeated the great and evil Klaus Mikaelson, about how she made sure her daughters and everyone else's children were safe. Klaus couldn't have killed her sister. It just wasn't possible.
“He was only in a prison world. And then he escaped.”
Josie’s face collapsed in, finally releasing what denial had pushed off. “No,” she sobbed. “No, Lizzie …” She fell into her father’s arms and cried.