Chapter 23

“So it’s a magical slug?” Penelope hopped up on the island across from Hope, who sat on the counter swinging her legs. “That crawls inside your brain? And makes you act all crazy?”
“Impulsive, but yeah.” Hope looked down at her hands. “What I don’t get is why I wasn’t infected.”
“Because you’re a tribrid?”
“Maybe.”
“So I’m infected?” Penelope raised an eyebrow and leaned forward. 
“Almost definitely.” 
Penelope nodded and pulled a face.
“But Dorian’s working on a cure.”
“Well -” Penelope brushed her hair over her shoulders, “- in the meantime …”
“What are you doing?” Hope shook her head, a smile tugging at the corners of her mouth.
Penelope tilted her chin down to look up at Hope with a wicked smile. “Hopefully you.” 
“Smooth, Pen. Real smooth.” Hope rolled her eyes and laughed. “I don’t think Josie would approve of this.”
“Actually, we broke up.” Penelope leaned back. “So I am free to do whatever I want.”
“I’m sorry.”
Instead of answering, Penelope pulled the wide collar of her shirt down and off her shoulder. Hope let her eyes flicker across her bare skin before she looked to the side with another bashful smile.
“Penelope …”
“Are you just going to leave me like this, Mikaelson?” Penelope tugged the other sleeve down. 
“I’m flattered but …” Hope still couldn’t meet Penelope’s eye. “I think - I’m pretty sure - I’m into someone else.”
Penelope’s jaw dropped, her voice losing its seductive softness. “Landon Kirby?”
Hope’s eyes started to shine and her nose grew pinker. “No, um …” She cleared her throat. “Lizzie Saltzman.”
“Well …” Penelope slid off the counter. “Just because you think you’re into Lizzie Saltzman,” Penelope stepped up to Hope, “doesn’t mean we can’t do anything.”
“A very good point.” Hope leaned forward and pressed her lips to Penelope’s. 
All thoughts of possible crushes on blonde siphoners left her mind as Penelope kissed her back even harder and twisted her hands into her hair.