Chapter 65

Klaus groaned as his body hit the hard floor of the cell. “Foolish mistake moving me from that barrier spell,” he taunted, even from the floor with a wooden stake through his heart. 
“Foolish mistake coming to my school, threatening my students, and killing my daughter.” Alaric countered. “You’re going to wish that I’d left you in Hope’s barrier spell.”
“Doubtful.”
Alaric rolled his jaw. “You’re going to feel pain like you have never felt before.” He pushed the heavy door shut behind him, locking the bolt securely into place before heading back upstairs. He needed to find Emma and get a powerful spell surrounding that cell before any more trouble could come out of it. 
But as he was walking through the quiet school, he heard another set of footsteps headed towards the front door. He followed them curiously, clearing his throat when he saw Hope sneaking by.
“Where are you going?”
“Oh.” She whirled around and he caught the glint of his keys in her hand. “Um … nowhere.”
“Are those my keys?” 
“No.”
He tilted his head and raised his eyebrows at them. She knew he knew she was lying.
“Okay, yes.”
“Did you think I wouldn’t notice my car missing?” 
“Can’t you just trust me?” Hope asked in one, long sigh.
“No!” Alaric scoffed. “You just broke into my office, you’re committing grand theft auto, and you’re clearly about to drive my stolen car without a license.” He made sure not to let Klaus’ name sneak out in his anger. 
“I wasn’t going to drive.”
“Then who’s gonna drive?” 
“Look, it has to do with my dad.” Hope stuck her chin in the air. “Can you just let me handle it?”
“Your father was found with three dead students today, Hope. The same day we buried my daughter!” 
Hope glanced down, voice soft. “I know.”
“What do you mean you know?” Alaric furrowed his eyebrow, heartbeat starting to pick up as the dread seeped into his stomach. 
She didn’t meet his eye. “How do you think they got to him in the first place?” 
Alaric was silent. 
“Just let me fix it.”
How? How are you going to fix it?”
Ad somnum.”