Chapter 28

“How are you feeling?” Lizzie asked for the hundredth time, sweeping eyeshadow across Hope’s eyelids. “Are you ready for this?”
“Yes,” Hope assured her with a smile. “It’s not my first time.”
“Well this is the first time you’ll win.” Lizzie snapped the palette shut aggressively. 
“That’s an awful lot of faith in a two-time second placer.” Hope looked up at Lizzie.
“Keep your eyes closed,” Lizzie commanded, already coming at her with an eyeliner brush. “I need you to do this. I need you to win.” Lizzie’s breath tickled Hope’s face as she focused on the wing. “MG and my sister both need to be shown up.”
“MG? I thought you two were friends.” 
Lizzie didn’t answer.
“Is this about the other morning? I saw you two arguing by the water.”
“He was making fun of me.” Lizzie set her brushes down. “Just like the other witches do. So, no. We are not friends. You can open your eyes.”
“Why would he do that?”
“I don’t know. He tried to make me think someone wasn’t real.” 
Hope’s heart leapt and she leaned forward, hands gripping the edge of Lizzie’s chair. She could barely get the question past her heart in her throat. “Jade?”
“No, Sebastian. MG tried to say that Sebastian isn’t real. But he is. I know he is.”
“Are you saying you remember someone nobody else does?”
“No.” Lizzie shook her head and pulled the dress off her closet door. “I still see him.”
“I don’t understand.”
Lizzie picked at tiny threads and lint on Hope’s dress. “MG says nobody else does - that I’m hallucinating him or something. But I didn’t. I didn’t just make up a boyfriend!” Lizzie’s voice started to get louder and higher. "I'm not that crazy! I wouldn't do that!"
Hope stood up, putting her hands on Lizzie’s shoulders and looking her evenly in the eye. “I believe you. I do.”
“I need you to promise me you’ll beat them.” Lizzie’s eyes burned into Hope’s. 
Hope swallowed heavily. “Anything for you.”
“Say it.” Lizzie held out a hand, pinky extended. “Promise me.”
Hope linked her pinky through Lizzie’s. “I promise.”