Chapter 26

“When did you have time to tell Josie we slept together?” Hope asked, grabbing one of the cupcakes for the pageant and licking the pink icing off. “I mean, we spent the night together and I was there when you woke up. We headed over together.”
“I might’ve told her right after she said she was breaking up with me.” Penelope layered more pink onto the still-warm cupcakes. 
“Oh no.” Hope laughed deviously. “That’s … I mean, that’s good.”
Penelope nodded along, her mind somewhere else. “Do you think I only said that because I was slugged?” 
Hope’s heart dropped and she set the half-eaten cupcake next to her on the counter. Her appetite was suddenly gone. She knew she was going to have to tell Penelope what Dorian had told her, but she hadn’t expected to so soon. 
She had thought about spilling as soon as she got back to Penelope’s room, but when she crawled back into bed next to her, she decided against it. 
“Wait - do you think Josie only broke up with me because she was infected?” Penelope’s mind was working fast.
“Actually … supernaturals aren’t affected.”
“What?”
Hope couldn’t meet Penelope’s eye. “They only affect humans.”
“So we …” Penelope motioned between her and Hope.
“Yep.”
“Oh.” Penelope set down her bag of icing carefully. “I guess that leads me to my next question.”
“Hmm?” Hope picked it up and took over her job just for something to do with her hands. She wanted any excuse to not have to look Penelope in the eye.
“I have a Miss Mystic Falls escort outfit and no beauty queen to stand next to. Do you see a solution?” Penelope’s eyes sparkled hopefully. 
Hope wouldn’t look at them. “Pen … I’m still with Landon. He’s my date.”
“Right.” Penelope brushed the dried icing off her hands.
“I’m sorry -”
“It’s fine. I’ll catch you around.”
“I didn’t mean to lead you on -” Hope tried as Penelope turned to leave.
“No, I get it. I’ll see you after the dance.”