Chapter 61

Alaric’s hands were shaking so badly he could barely balance the framed picture against his daughter’s grave. He crouched in front of the fresh stone, a cold hand pressed to his mouth. 
He knew he was alone in his guilt for now. Caroline was too filled with anger and too preoccupied with Josie to feel anything else. So, for now, he was on his own with his swirling storm of “what if”s and “if only”s, and for once, he wasn’t drowning them in alcohol. For Lizzie. Tonight, he was going to be numb from the cold instead of anything else. 
He stood and pressed his hand to the top of the gravestone in a silent goodbye, wordlessly promising to return tomorrow. He took off down the dark trail, gravel crunching under his shoes. 
He was long gone on his way back to the Salvatore School when a dirty hand clawed its way through the fresh dirt. 
There was no magic inside of her. Lizzie couldn’t blast the dirt away. She had to dig furiously, gasping as she pulled herself out of the dark hole. Her eyes were wide as she took in her dim, disoriented surroundings. Legs shaking, she pulled herself to her feet and brushed dirt off her funeral dress. 
Her steps were stumbling, but she dutifully followed the path back to the Salvatore School with a fuzzy mind and ringing ears.