Chapter 81

Caroline stomped down the stairs to the cellar, hands balled in angry fists at her side. Klaus’ screams traveled up the stairwell, all the way to the main floor where classes were being held.
“Why are you screaming?” Caroline demanded as if she were talking to a toddler throwing a tantrum instead of an Original vampire clawing at his bloody back. “I am trying to run a school upstairs.”
“I’ll give you your peace if you let me out.”
“Ha,” Caroline scoffed. “No. You killed my daughter.”
Klaus arched an eyebrow. “I take it Alaric didn’t forward on my good news. Your precious Elizabeth -”
“Don’t say her name.” Caroline crossed her arms sharply.
“She’s alive.”
“Yeah, Alaric told me you’d say that.” She stuck her chin in the air. “It’s a cruel joke, even for you, Klaus.”
“A stake in my heart is a cruel joke too.”
“Just be lucky it’s not white oak- yet.”
“The Caroline I know wouldn’t let me suffer like this,” Klaus tried again, tilting his head.
Caroline took two angry steps towards him, hovering over him dangerously. “Well this Caroline was the one who told Ric to leave the stake in you in the first place.”
Klaus seemed taken aback by that, his eyes growing wide and his mouth growing silent. Caroline turned and left the dungeon without another word.