Chapter 78

“That’s weird.” The shorter of the two security guards squinted and leaned closer to the monitor. “There’s two ... teenaged girls … walking across the field.” He blinked in disbelief at the camera feed.
“I’ll go tell them to leave,” offered the second one. He turned, crying out in surprise when he saw Hope standing right behind him. 
“Delayed feed spell.” She smiled and raised her gun, pulling the trigger without hesitation.
“What did you -” The shorter guard started.
Hope pulled the trigger again, not a single muscle in her face flinching.
“Did you have to shoot them … dead?” Lizzie asked, grimacing at the blood seeping from their white shirts.
“Yes, and I’ll do it again.” Hope pushed the chair with the dead guard in it out of the way, clicking her way through their camera views. She gasped and leaned back when she saw one staring down into an impossibly large black pit.
“I’m staring at too much goo, and not enough answers,” Lizzie said, peering over Hope’s shoulder.
“Well, lucky for you, I did some thinking in the car, and I have exactly one plan.” Hope snatched the guard’s ID. 
“Do I get to know this plan?” Lizzie asked as she followed Hope through Triad. 
“No.”
“Is it because this plan involves your raging hero complex and will probably result in some unnecessary sacrifice like jumping into the pit?” 
“No.” Hope shook her head and looked at Lizzie. “No, of course not.”
Lizzie looked doubtful.
“I do need your help, though.”
“Sure.”
“I saw logs downstairs of all the entries into the pit. Can you grab it for me?” 
“Fine, but if I come back up here and you are in the bottom of the pit, I’m killing you myself.” Lizzie pressed her mouth into a flat, threatening line.
“I’ll be right here, but thanks for the concern.”
Hope watched Lizzie head back to the elevator, waiting until the doors closed behind her to put one foot up on the railing. She gripped the metal bar to balance herself and stared down at the pit underneath her.
“Sorry, Lizzie,” she muttered, letting go of the railing and falling forward.
The last thing she remembered was that the goo was surprisingly warm as it absorbed her.