Chapter 82

“You’re going to kill Klaus Mikaelson?” Josie asked, appearing in Alaric’s doorway. 
Alaric turned, stake still in his hand. “Yes.”
“How?”
“White oak stake to the heart.” He twirled the stake in the air half-heartedly. 
“I thought there were no white oak stakes left. Trust me, I checked.” Josie stepped into his office. 
“There was no white oak here, but there was in 1994.”
Josie nodded, closing her eyes. “Uncle Kai’s prison world. Why didn’t I think of that?”
Alaric furrowed his eyebrows. “Why would you?”
“I was … Well, I was going to figure out how to kill Klaus myself.” 
“Why would you have to figure out how to kill him yourself? You know your mother and I have it handled.” Alaric sat in one of his chairs and motioned for Josie to sit opposite him. “You’re just a kid, Jo. It’s not for you to worry about.”
“I wanted to.” 
“You wanted to?” Alaric stared at Josie in disbelief. 
“I wanted to kill him. As revenge.” She nodded. “For Lizzie.”
“Josette,” Alaric sighed. “That’s not -”
“What? Fair? Right? What’s fair and right about my dead twin?” 
Alaric didn’t have an answer to that. Josie took advantage of his downcast gaze to eye the white oak stakes and the sole loose book on his shelf. 
“You don’t need to go down this path,” Alaric said finally.
“Okay.” Josie smiled pleasantly. 
“Okay?”
“Yeah.” She forced fake contentment into her voice. “If you and Mom are taking care of it, then there’s no reason for me to get involved.” 
“Oh - yeah, that’s ... you're right.” Alaric seemed surprised. 
“Well, I’ll see you tomorrow then.” Josie gave her dad one more smile before she stepped back into the hallway, already planning how she would sneak back down after curfew and steal the white oak stakes.