Chapter 25

Hope sat on the steps in the dining hall, pretending to laugh at the desperate jokes the Miss Mystic Falls contestants were telling. She said nothing about the way that most of the jokes seemed to be subtle digs at the other girls, and she said nothing when she spotted Josie watching her from the doorway. She hadn’t planned to acknowledge her at all until she came stomping up to the stairs.
“Hey, Mikaelson!” 
Hope’s eyes widened. The girls around her scattered like prey. 
“You have got some nerve!” Josie spewed, hands balled into angry fists at her sides. “How could you show your face around here after what you did!”
“What did I do?” Hope took a sip of her milkshake.
“Don’t act like you don’t know.”
“I don’t know.”
“Penelope told me that you two slept together.”
“Did she now?” Hope stood up. “I don’t know what you think you heard, but last time I checked, you and Penelope were broken up and -”
“I think I heard that you slept with my girlfriend, regardless of whether I dumped her or not. I think I heard that you still had a boyfriend too. And I think I heard that you have a secret dark spellbook that my dad would love to hear about that includes a certain love spell. So what do you think of that?”
“I think that if you have a problem with Penelope and I sleeping together, she’s right over there and you can ask her yourself.” Hope pointed over Josie’s shoulder to where Penelope had been watching them nervously.
“You’re going to pay for this, Mikaelson.”
“Okay.” Hope smiled pleasantly, stepping around Josie.
Penelope started, “Do you want to -”
“Yep.” Hope looped her arm through Penelope’s before she could finish her question.