Chapter 27

Landon knocked nervously on the Saltzman twins’ door. “Josie?”
“It’s open.”
Landon stopped when he saw Josie buried in her blankets on her bed. “Hey, I thought you said you wanted to talk?”
“I do.” Josie sat up, her movements slow and pained. 
“I can come back tomorrow if you want to sleep -”
“No, no, no.” Josie weakly shook her head. “Come sit.”
“Okay.” Landon ran the palms of his hands over his jeans, even more nervous than he was when he first got there. He sat at the foot of Josie’s bed. “What’s wrong?”
“Um …” Josie pretended to think. “I don’t know. Maybe I’m just stressed about Miss Mystic.”
“That’s understandable.” Landon laughed a little, starting to relax. He had been afraid that Josie was going to talk about Hope, but he could handle some pre-show jitters. “It’s your first time competing.”
“Yeah, I just … do you think I’m pretty?”
“What?” Landon’s face went slack.
“I’m sorry.” Josie giggled a little, feigning embarrassment. “I just meant that I’m about to stand up in front of everyone in this dress and …”
“I think you’ll look beautiful. Especially if you’re having fun. That’s the important part.”
“Thanks.” Josie looked down to where she twisted her hands in her lap. “How is Hope doing with it?”
“Oh, Hope’s a pro at this.” Landon laughed and then stopped suddenly. “But someone sabotaged her dress.”
“Yeah, I heard that the girls were under the influence of something that made them act out.” Josie nodded along.
“This girl was a witch.”
“Oh.” Josie sighed. “Dress sabotage aside, how is she doing? I know she’s had a year with that breakdown about an imaginary friend -”
“Hope’s not crazy,” Landon interrupted.
“No, I know. I just … I know how draining it is for me with Lizzie and I -”
“What?” Landon stared at Josie. “Draining?”
“I know it’s not easy,” Josie said slowly, eyeing Landon strangely. 
“Hope’s not difficult.” Landon’s words were strong and sincere. “And neither is Lizzie.”
“I don’t think I’m wording this right.” Josie drew the corners of her mouth back. “I’m just trying to say that I understand how it feels.”
Josie leaned forward, covering the distance between them and pressing her mouth to Landon’s.
He pulled back. “You can’t do that -”
“I’m sorry. I just … I think I’m confused. I mean, with Penelope sleeping with Hope, I think I’m just looking to fill some void or something.”
“What?” Every muscle in Landon’s body froze, his heart dropping to his stomach. Josie couldn't have just said what he thought she did. He must've misunderstood. “What do you mean Hope and Penelope?”
“... and you didn’t know.” Josie looked down at the blankets in her lap. 
“Nope.” 
“Can I say ‘sorry’ enough times?” 
“No,” Landon said, already going in for another kiss.
Josie smiled victoriously against his lips, bringing a hand up to pull him in further. Instead, he jerked himself to his feet, scrambling away as if she were a monster. 
“I have to go!” he announced stiffly. 
Josie nodded ever-so-slightly, and Landon hurried out of the room as fast as he could.