Chapter 77

Caroline poked her head into the nearly empty library, finally finding who she was looking for. Alaric was lying on the couch, surrounded by notebooks, with his hand over his eyes. 
“Are you dead now too?” Caroline laughed lightly as she approached.
“It is much too soon for that joke.” Alaric sat up, a pang of grief shooting through his chest. 
“Then what are you doing?”
“Thinking. Bracing myself for what I’m about to do.”
“And what is that?” Caroline sat down in an armchair.
“Go to a prison world.”
“What’s the point of going there when Klaus is here?” 
“Not to Klaus’. To Kai’s.” Alaric pushed a notebook out of the way. “Or rather, to 1994. Before all the white oak stakes were destroyed.”
Caroline froze, her eyes narrowing and a smile appearing on her face. “Smart.”
“You seem …” He narrowed his own eyes at her. “Unusually chipper.”
“I decided to take a break from being a grieving mother.” Caroline folded her hands.
“A break? A vampire break?” Alaric sat up straighter, realizing her meaning. “You turned it off?”
“I’ll turn it back on in a few days. I just needed a clear head for a bit.”
Alaric scoffed lightly. “I wish I could do that.” He sighed. “Are you sure about this?”
“I know what you’re thinking. ‘Caroline’s gonna go on a killing spree again.’ But I’m not. I’m just gonna breathe." She took a deep breath right on cue. "And it makes sense, too. What good is a school with two headmasters wallowing in grief? The school needs someone to keep it running.” Caroline smiled, pleased with herself. “So. Should I call Bonnie and ask for some blood?”