Chapter 21

Penelope bit her thumbnail as she walked down the hallway towards Josie’s room. She wasn’t sure if she planned to confront her about Hope's dress or clarify their plans for tomorrow, but she knew she had to see her girlfriend. She wasn’t prepared for her to come out of the bathroom mere feet in front of her.
“Hey!” Penelope smiled. “What time do you want to arrive tomorrow?”
Apparently I’m asking about plans, Penelope thought dryly, immediately regretting her choice.
“Arrive to what?” Josie had a dark look on her face.
“To Miss Mystic Falls.”
“Why do you need to know that?” 
“So I know what time to pick you up?”
“Why are you picking me up?” Josie took a step closer to her girlfriend, her voice getting louder. “You’re not my date. MG’s taking me.”
Penelope’s mouth fell open.
“As a matter of fact, you’re not my girlfriend." 
“What are you saying?” 
“I’m breaking up with you."
Penelope stood still for a minute. She knew all the protests, the insults, the arguments she could make, but she didn’t say a single one. Instead, she said softly, “Thank you.”
“What the hell are you talking about?” Josie’s face was twisted with fury now.
Penelope stepped closer, pulling her shoulders back and raising her head. “I wasn’t ever gonna do it myself, so thank you. You are so toxic, Josie. I’ll be better off not around you.” She scrunched her nose up. “But I guess there’s another plus side.”
Josie stared at her evenly, silently daring her to say it.
“At least now I can tell you that I slept with Hope Mikaelson.”
The change on Josie’s face was almost imperceptible. She hid her anger well, only betraying it in one miniscule twitch in her jaw. “Fuck you.”
“No, fuck you.” Penelope turned sharply, not waiting for her ex-girlfriend’s reaction as she marched back down the hallway without looking back.