Chapter 12

Hope's feet crunched over the dry leaves on the forest floor. She weaved between trees, the trail far behind her. It was much more fun to run without a path, she thought, and it's not like a tribrid had to worry about twisted ankles.
She burst out by the water, stopping when she saw the blonde sitting on the other side of the lake.
"And so now I think Josie's upset that Penelope is hanging out with Hope but she won't say it," Lizzie chatted away, just outside of Hope's supernatural earshot. "Which I don't know why since she and Landon have been together as long as I can remember and Penelope is head over heels in love with Josie anyways - like disgustingly in love - and she wouldn't ever cheat on her -" Lizzie stopped to suck in a deep breath, suddenly suffocated by the sheer number of words spilling out of her mouth. 
"I am sure that your sister will figure it out," Sebastian said, leaning forward. "And in the meantime …" 
He reached for Lizzie's hand but she jerked it back abruptly. Across the lake, Hope furrowed her eyebrows at the way Lizzie jerked back, seemingly away from nothing.
Maybe there was a bug. Except … is she talking to herself? Hope squinted harder, trying to see clearer. 
And then she saw MG trip from behind a tree and Lizzie spring to her feet, no doubt spewing threats and insults left and right.
"Are you spying on us, MG?" Lizzie demanded in a shout, voice echoing off the trees.
"Us who?" MG looked bewildered.
"Me and Sebastian!" 
"There's no one with you. Lizzie, just listen to me." MG approached slowly as Lizzie stared at the empty blanket. "You were talking to yourself."
Lizzie turned away, tears in her eyes. "Shut up." 
"Look." MG thrust a camera in her direction. "I recorded it."
Lizzie flung the camera away from her face. "I don't care!"
"Just watch!"
Lizzie reluctantly looked down, stomach turning when she saw her likeness, sitting by herself and chatting away merrily. "What is this?"
"It's you, just now."
"No it isn't!" Lizzie's voice was shrill and only getting louder and shriller. "I was talking to Sebastian! He was here! Is this some sort of prank?"
"No, of course not -" MG's eyebrows pulled together.
"Why would you do this to me? I know the witches like to prank me because it's so funny to watch Crazy Lizzie melt down, but I thought we were friends, MG!"
"We are friends! That's why I -"
"Not anymore!" Lizzie sobbed. "Don't talk to me ever again." 
She turned, running towards the treeline. MG leaned back, eyes wandering around the lake. They stopped on Hope who swallowed heavily, put her earbuds back in, and resumed her jog, trying to pretend like she didn't see anything.