Little Batya (A.L.)

Retirement was supposed to be a walk in the park.

You and Ari had worked for almost a decade together, a husband and wife duo, starting an entire initiative within the United States to help spread awareness about the problems in Ethiopia and bring thousands of Ethiopians to safety.

So after finally deciding to finally go home, permanently, everything was going great. Just the fact you two could sleep in your bed together was enough to satisfy you. But Ari got quite bored quickly, spending lots of his time in the workout room in your basement because according to him there "wasn't anything to do" which you assured him was the entire point of retirement.

But you two had made a decision, one that you had wanted to make for years: the idea of having a child together.

You had always dreamed of a family, kids running around and making messes, running in grass and snow, and what made it all the more appealing was dreaming of your husband playing with them. You almost fainted from how perfect it all sounded.

Ari was a little more guarded, though. He knew in America you were safe, but seeing the torturous and gruesome things he had seen happen, he was reluctant to the idea of being a child into this cruel world.

You introduced the idea gradually. Laying next to each other in bed, his arm wrapped around you, and your arm sprawled on his chest you two began talking when you brought up the idea, "What about kids?" You just asked, looking up at him. He looked down at you, his facial expression turning more serious than before.

"What about kids?" He asked you.

"Well, ya know, us having kids." You lightly smiled, beginning to play with his fingers on his chest. "Just imagine a bunch of mini us's running around the house and playing and-"

"Making messed and having them have to learn life the hard way?" He asked with a sigh, interrupting you, "I'm not so sure."

"Ari," You whined, "Can we at least think about it?" You begged, looking up at him. He sighed, knowing how you had wanted a family, for years, but he didn't want to be the cause of a child to go through such cruelty that the world would offer, he knew he could never forgive himself for that.

"Babe, I-" He searched for the right words in his mind, "You know how terrible things are and imagine a child here." He began, "That's not right."

"Ari, we're not in Ethiopia anymore." You began, "We're here, in the safety of our home, and we'll protect our child by all means-"

"That's what all those parents thought in Ethiopia too before their families were persecuted!" He argued back, scoffing, "You can't be serious." This time you sat up away from him giving a look of shock.

"I've never been more serious, Ari." You fought, "All that I'm asking you to do is to think about this. It's not that hard."

"Y/N, you were there too. How can you think it's a good idea to bring an innocent kid into this world when you saw all that you did?"

"Oh my-" You scoffed, rolling your eyes, trying to stop yourself from saying something awful, "So now I'm the bad guy?"

"I never said that." He argued.

"You're painting me out to be one though." You argued back, "Ari, we're moved on from that phase in our life. We're safe and retired."

"No one is safe, Y/N." He began, "You saw just as much as I did out there and you still think it's a good idea to have kids."

"Yes, Ari, yes I do." You responded, "Because having kids will bring us the happiness we've always wanted. Imagine having a bunch of little ones running around the house and enjoying their lives. It's our jobs as parents to shield them and that's exactly what we'll do."