Sacrifice (S.R.)

I had just woken up in the hospital, my vision still slightly blurry, only to see Steve sitting next to me with his head in his hands. From what I could see he looked extremely tired, desperate, and anxious. I slightly (uncontrollably) groaned, and his head shot up.

"Hey," He said getting up and walking towards me, "I'll call a doctor in here." He did as he said (as usual) and refused to leave my side. "How are you feeling?" He asked with concern spread across this face.

"Been better." I said and lightly smiled. He smiled back before planting a kiss on the top of my head.

"Mrs. Rogers," the doctor announced, coming in, "I'm Dr. Thomas, and I've been your primary doctor." I nodded. "So I see you got into a severe accident while, obviously, fighting." He continued and I nodded. I slightly looked up at Steve to see him fixated on the doctor. "We will be running as many tests as we can on you. While you were unconscious for the 72 hours you were, we couldn't get much information on you. So we'll run you through some scans and such to figure out what's going on. Can you tell me how you're feeling."

"Okay," I said, "Really sore though from the hips up." He nodded and wrote a few things down.

"Alright, well, we'll run some tests and then get you some food. I'll send some nurses in to check on you."

"Thank you." I responded and he left.

"Thank God you're alive." I heard Steve mumble as he got up and walked over. He kneeled down next to me and deeply kissed me.

"I'm glad I am too." I smiled and placed a hand on his cheek.

.

The nurses eventually came in and wheeled me to some of the scanning rooms. "Now Mrs. Rogers, if you could stand up and get to the machine to lay down please." The doctor asked. I attempted to move my legs like usual to the other side of the bed, but nothing happened. I tried again, nothing. The nurses began to notice. 

"I- I can't." I said. Then it hit me.

"Um," the doctor said and cleared his throat, "let's help you." After 5 minutes the managed to get me off the bed. I couldn't move a single part from the waist down, so the nurses were holding me. They got me to lay down, went through some tests, and got lifted back up again and put on the bed.

I knew what had happened. I completely understood. It was just a matter of confirmation and telling Steve.

We got back to the room where Steve looked up and smiled at me. We waited and talked a few moments before the doctors came back in.

"Mrs. Rogers, Mr. Rogers," he said addressing both Steve and I, "The tests do confirm the unfortunate has happened: From the waist down you're paralyzed." I knew it.

I sighed and looked over at Steve. His mouth was agape and eyes filled with worry. "I'll give you two a few moments before I come back in for a consultation on our next steps." The doc said before stepping out and closing the door. We were silent for a minute or two.

"Steve-" I started and he looked up at me, "We'll get through this okay?" I said and slightly smiled reaching my hand our for him. He took it and lightly smiled back.

"It's all my fault." he began.

"No no no-" I stopped him, "It's not. It's absolutely not."

"You put your life on the line for me, (Y/N), I should've been the one to go through this."

"No Steven. I put my life on the line for you because I love you and it was the right thing to do. Don't you ever tell yourself otherwise. Sometimes we all have to make sacrifices for the ones we love the most." I said and squeezed his hand.

"I love you." he said and looked up with teary eyes.

"I love you too."