Books on the Run pt. 2 (S.R.)

"I can't wait for you to meet my parents," I told Steve as we sat on his couch together, he gave me his signature sweet little innocent Steve look, "They're going to love you." I knew he was nervous but didn't want to say so.

Post the fallout of SHIELD, life had been steady. Steve and I decided to make our relationship official a few weeks later, considering all four of us almost died at least a dozen times in the matter of a day.

"Ready for lunch?" I asked and reached for his hand across the couch. He smiled and nodded prompting me to get up and grab it.

It was a gorgeous summer day in Brooklyn. As we began walking to a local restaurant we went to often, he couldn't stop staring at me. "What're you looking at?" I asked him.

"Just your natural beauty." He said.

"Awwwww," I responded, "That's so sweet." Not to brag or anything, but I rarely wore makeup for the reason that my skin was so clear and my face was pretty naturally clean. In the summer I had freckles that Steve considered "adorable" and one of his favorite features. "C'mon now, it's lunchtime," I said and dragged him in.

.

"Ready to meet them?" I asked him as we picked up our luggage. He nervously nodded his head, so I gave him a quick kiss on the cheek. "They'll love you." I smiled at him, he managed to give a small one back. We made our way out the sliding doors and immediatly saw them. "Mom!" I squealed and ran up to her, giving her a hug.

"Hi, love! How are you?" She asked and smiled.

"Great, how are you?" I asked as my stepdad Nick came up to greet us.

"Better now that I'm seeing you!" We smiled at each other again.

"Hi, Nick," I said and smiled, giving him a hug as well. "By the way this is Steve," I said and had him come up to them. He reached his hand out to shake it with my mom, who instead hugged him. He hugged back.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, ma'am." He said.

"Oh please, Frannie is just fine." She said and smiled at him. He introduced himself to my stepdad before helping him load up in the trunk of the car and we were off to go back home.

Once back at my childhood home, Nick and Steve put our bags in my room while I went downstairs with my mom to talk a little bit. "He's a real cutie." My mom pointed out a took a sip of the wine she poured for us. I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah well don't overwhelm him, he's not good with women." She smirked.

"That's alright. He's still cute." I chuckled and nodded. Although I was worried about my mother and her open personality scaring him, you have to admit, he's adorable. Both of the guys came down laughing at something. At least they were getting along.

We discussed dinner before my mom and I began prepping for it. "So Steve," My mom began. This was where the interrogation began. "How's life been adjusting to the new world." Steve was thankfully quite open to everyone about this. Early on he feared the discussion of this, as he explained to me, but now he's adjusted to it.

"Alright," He admitted, "But a lot different."

"How so?" She asked and I rolled my eyes. Of course, she knew how so.

"Well for starters, technology." He stated and she nodded her head, "And people." She rose an eyebrow, trying to seem clueless. Steve had figured it out by now but was still going along. "People's attitudes and thoughts have changed that's all."

"What about your thoughts?" She asked.

"Well, unfortunately, it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks." She (of course) fake laughed and continued. "What are your thoughts in premarital sex-"

"Mother!" I interrupted her and turned around to face ger. Nick stopped mid-sip of water and stared as Steve turned tomato red.

"What?" She asked innocently, "Just curious."

"That's Steve's personal choice."

"Well, shouldn't it be yours too?" She rebutted as if trying to make him seem worst.

"It's both of our decisions."

"So does that mean you to-"

"How does this have any relevance to the conversation?" I asked her.

"I was just wondering." I sighed and put my utensils down, deciding to depart from the kitchen for now.

"Steve?" I asked and he looked up, still in an awkward position from the conversation earlier. "Would you join me upstairs?" He nodded and followed me up into my room, where I immediatly shut the door behind us.

"Did I do something wrong I think I did I'm so sorry Y/N I-"

"Stevie you did nothing wrong." I sat him down on the bed, placing myself beside him. "My mom's just trying to be- difficult." He lightly nodded. "I should really be the one apologizing-"

"It's not your fault." He stated firmly, "You can't control what your mother does." I nodded in agreement. "You two do look a lot alike though."

"Should I take that as a compliment?" I asked.

"She is a beautiful woman." I rolled my eyes as he began flirting with my mom while she wasn't even there.

"And here I am telling people you're not good with women."