Family (S.R.)

It was another year of your family's beginning of summer barbeque, which you were required to attend despite the distance between New York City and your home town.

Of course, Steve came along too. You and he had been together for almost two years, and he made sure to be by your side for every family event since he had first met your parents six months in your relationship.

So here you were, sitting on a poolside chair next to your favorite cousin, Lauren, or Laur as you liked to call her, sipping on some beer as Steve and her boyfriend of now fiance, Mark, were off in the distance laughing and drinking their own beer. You smiled over under your sunglasses, Luren noticing. "We have similar taste in men ya know?" She asked and lightly smirked.

"Oh I know," You smiled, briefly looking from her to where your two boyfriends, both extremely muscular and shaped like upside-down triangles stood, "Physically and characteristically." You could tell she rolled her eyes, even under her own sunglasses.

"Oh please, you think a dick head control freak like Jason could live with either one of us?" She scoffed, "We'd murder him in 12 hours."

"Preach," You laid back down, letting the sun soak into your skin through your one-piece swimsuit, showing off your large hips and curvy figure. After a few minutes of the two of you sitting there, peacefully tanning, you heard large footsteps that you easily recognized as your boyfriend's.

"Hey," He lightly kissed you from above where he stood next to you.

"Hey," You responded, sitting up slightly.

"You want me to grab you another?" He waved his own bottle of beer in his hand.

"That would be great actually," You sighed at your now empty bottle, "Thanks, babe." He smiled and went off with Mark who you assumed asked Lauren the same thing. You and she smiled at each other, letting out a small laugh, before beginning a new conversation waiting for the boys to get back.

After about five minutes they did, each sitting on edge of your chairs, and each of you sitting up to give them room, the four of you facing one another on the sides of the padded cushions. "So how's life as an Avenger?" Lauren asked, as she always did. Steve lightly chuckled.

"Wonderful," He sighed, "What about being a teacher?"

"Not to be offensive," She briefly slid her sunglasses up so they rested on the top of her head, "But third graders can be jackasses." The four of you began laughing.

"I want to hear the drama." You asked and smiled.

"Alright so," She began, crossing one leg over the other. "There's this boy, Tommy, and he likes this girl, Tamera," She smiled, "And I know because I always overhear the entire class talking about them, and so I put them next to each other, and they always talk and look at each other with these big smiles. It's adorable."

"Young love," Mark said.

"What's up losers?" Your younger brother Jason came up to greet you all. You sighed, Mark and Steve smiled up tightly, they were not fond of him. You and Lauren loathed him.

"Hi, Jason." You answered for the group, you too tightly smiling. He had a new girl, Samantha you recalled, right next to him, wrapping her waist tightly around his arm. She had bleach blonde hair and was probably a size 0 if you had to guess, differing greatly from your form. Her bikini was also far too small for any respectable woman to wear. You were pro body positivity and women wearing what they wanted, but this was also a family event. Not the time for a white bikini with only flimsy excuses for ties holding it up.

You could also sense the uncomfortable not only from Steve but from Mark, prompting you to place your hand lightly on your lovers. "Well we were just in the middle of something," Lauren spoke up, breaking the awkward silence, "So we'll talk to you two in a minute, alright?" They reluctantly nodded and walked away. Steve moved his hand down to your lower thigh, giving it a squeeze.

"I love you," He whispered.

"I love you too." You whispered back, placing a quick kiss on his lips.

Your family was big on sit down dinners at the table. So regardless of the fact it was a barbeque, you still sat at the large table outside on your patio. "So, Jason, are you thinking about settling down with Samantha?" You had the strong urge to roll your eyes. Your parents seemed to always care about what Jason was doing, even in his love life, yet they had never once asked Steve or you in your two years of dating if you wanted to settle down.

"I'm not sure," He lightly smiled, "Maybe."

"Well how long have you two been dating?" Your mother chirped up.

"Four months."

"That's a new record." You mumbled. Steve lightly smiled, trying to prevent himself, Mark doing the same, as Lauren and a few of your other family members snorted and lightly chuckled.

"Y/N!" Your dad snapped, "Apologize to your brother right now. He deserves more respect."

"Respect?" You rose an eyebrow, "When has he given me any respect? I only give respect to those who respect me."

"It's because you're a bitch." He mumbled this time. No one laughed or even smiled.

"I'm not doing this." You got up from your seat carefully, walking inside the house to cool down. Steve was close to following.

You sat in the formal living room, head in your hands out of pure frustration. Of course, your parents would give more respect to Jason. He was the favorite. "Sweetheart?" Steve slowly sat down next to you. Your gaze didn't change. So he just sat with you for a few minutes, no words were said, but you managed to calm down.

"I'm so fucking sick and tired of getting no respect from my own family."

"I know," Steve sighed, rubbing his hand in circular motions on your exposed back, "I know."

"We've been together for two years. And of course my parents like you, you're a gentleman with manners and a good heart. But really? They want that from Jason."

"It's okay honey." He said, continually soothing you. You and Steve had talked about settling down multiple times, and you both wanted. It was just a matter of taking time, not wanting to rush it. You could hear him sigh, then take his large fingers, placing them on the edge of your chin and lifting them so your eyes met. "Will you marry me?" He asked. You paused for a moment out of confusion.

"W-what?"

"Will you marry me?" He asked again.

"Wait are you proposing?" You moved away slightly.

"Yes," He said, "I'll do the whole ring, fancy dinner, in front of a crowd big speech thing later. But will you marry me?" You looked astonished even though the answer in your mind was obvious.

"Yes, of course, Steve." You said. He smiled.

"We'll start our own family," He said and gave you a kiss, your foreheads now resting on the others, "And we'll make sure all of our kids are equal."

"All four of them?" You lightly smiled.

"Yes, all four." He lightly chuckled.