Growing up (R.D.)

Ransom had changed a lot since I had first met him.

His playboy persona had been left behind after he decided to initiate a real relationship between us all those years ago. He was nervous, unsure, but still trying.

At first, he was an asshole. He can still be, but it's his nature. He's a Ransom Drysdale, it's what he does. But he proved to me that he can be less of an asshole, more of a lover and companion.

So when he finally proposed after a few years I said yes. I honestly had to think over my decision. I really tried not to overthink it all, but I had to take into account the idea that I wanted to start a family and have kids. I wanted to make sure Ransom was the person I wanted to do it with, and he wanted to do it with me.

He got a job too. Became a writer like his grandfather was. Not of mystery, but just of adult novels. And he was brilliant at what he did. When he got an idea, whether it be during office hours or in the middle of the night, he would stop writing and couldn't stop. He just needed the right inspiration.

His first book was published about a year after he initially started it. He was nervous at first about the release, which was the first time I think I had ever seen him actually, genuinely nervous. "It'll be alright Ransom," I said and rubbed his arm as we sat next to each other, leaning on the headboard of our bed while both under the covers, "You worked so hard. You're incredible at writing, and the book was amazing."

"Thank you," he sighed and gave me a kiss.

The next few weeks the book had blown up. It had sold over a million copies in less than a month, had made it number one on the New York Times bestsellers list, and all the reviews raved about how incredible the book was.

We got married a few months after that. It was low key, a small wedding. I invited all my family, who Ransom managed to charm since the beginning. His therapist suggested he invite his family, and if things got out of hand just to kick them out.

So that's exactly what we did. The ceremony went by fine. Everything was under control and well. Once the reception came though, Ransom's parents started fighting. Again. So Linda and Richard were both escorted away.

And a few weeks later, post-honeymoon in Greece (which was incredible, to say the least) we found out I was pregnant. He and I were both overjoyed, but of course, Ransom began overthinking it all. "What if I'm a shitty father?" he would ask me at night as he laid his head on my lap, "What if I treat our kids like my parents did? What if they turn out like me?"

"You won't be a shitty father Ransom." I insisted.

"How do you know?"

"Because I know you will try your hardest to give our child the opposite childhood of what you had," I sighed, "You hated it enough, not that I blame you, to make sure it won't happen again. And I hope they turn out like you. Not like playboy Ransom, but like my Ransom." I smiled as he gave me a kiss.

And soon enough I had the baby. Unfortunately, the labor was really rough on my body. My doctor high advised I don't have any more children, the risk was too high. So Ransom and I agreed that one was enough. And if we wanted more later one, we could always look at other options.

We named her Amelia Rose Drysdale. She was absolutely gorgeous, having most of my facial features but her father's hair and eye color.

And she had Ransom wrapped around her little finger. He couldn't stop checking on her, holding her, just talking to her. Even as a baby, when she couldn't talk nor understand, he would talk to her about his and her days. It was adorable.

And as she got older their relationship got stronger. When Ransom was writing on his laptop before we went to bed, Amelia would sit and watch him. Just stare at him typing. Sometimes she would talk and babble on as he just nodded his head and continued typing. Soon she would fall asleep right on his lap, his head on her chest. He would finish up his chapter, take her to bed and tucked her in giving her a kiss on the head.

She also got whatever she wanted. And by whatever, I mean whatever. She wanted a new doll? She got it. She wanted a new stuffed animal? She got it. She wanted a new iPad? She got it. The only limitation was books. She had to read a book every day, reading was a staple in our family. We had family reading time and as long as she was involved with that she got what she wanted.

Now she was 16. She got the Mercedes she wanted for her birthday, a new one of course (Ransom wanted to have the top safety features, I did too), and now helped her dad with his writing. She was brilliant at writing like him and would help him with character development. She was writing her own novel now too, which Ransom helped her with. And of course, he helped with regular English essays too.

"Daddy?" She came skipping in. We all knew when she used that term she wanted money.

"Yes, sweetheart?" He asked, not looking up from the daily newspaper he was reading.

"Can I pleaseee go shopping with Stacy and Jane?" He sighed.

"Sure," He said and pulled out his wallet. "Remember, you only have 550 left in your monthly allowance. And I'm watching."

"Of course." She said and gave him a kiss on the head taking his card. She was the definition of a Daddy's Girl.

"And you better be back in time for dinner and family reading time."

"Yes, Daddy. I love you!" She waved off and went out to her car.

"You spoil her rotten," I told him looking up from my novel. He sighed once again.

"You know, I just love her." I nodded.

"How's the new book coming along?" I tried to spark up a conversation.

"Alright," he responded, "Been focusing more on her book. It's really great for someone her age."

"Is it now?" I asked and he nodded, "I take it you're going to try and get it published?"

"I'm not going to try, it is getting published." He said, "She'll make some money that way, learn how to make it the real way."

"Just like you." I smiled at him and he smiled back. "I'm so proud of both of you."

"Thanks, honey." He said as I got up, giving him a quick kiss on the head.

"Now it's time to start dinner."

"Need any help?" He asked and put his newspaper down.

"Actually yeah, could you chop the vegetables please?"

"Of course," he got up and washed his hands before beginning to assist me.

.

"But dad I put it in there for foreshadowing."

"But I think it takes away from the character development." He sighed as the two began conversing over Amelia's next chapter for her book.

"But I like it!"

"I'm telling you, you can put it in an upcoming chapter. The foreshadowing you included in the scene does help with the plot but right now you need to focus on your character development." She huffed and plopped on the couch, a sign of defeat. Amelia, like her father, loved taking credit in her own work and never liked people messing with it.

"Alright," She sighed, "But if it ends up fucking up the next chapters I'm blaming it on you."

"Deal," He said. Then she resorted to upstairs to take her shower. I could hear him loudly sigh. 

"She takes after you," I said and brought him a coffee while he reclined in his chair in the study.

"I know," He said, "It's unfortunate sometimes." I lightly laughed.

"I love you both so much," I told him as I stood behind his chair, wrapping my arms around his chest.

"I love you too," he smiled and gave me a quick kiss on the lips.

"I"m really proud of you," I told him and he lightly smiled, "Genuinely proud."

"You know that's all I want to hear."

"I know," I smiled, "But it's also the truth."