Long Time, No See (Pt. 2) (S.R.)

Steve POV

Bucks gone. Sams gone. T'Challas gone. Many more are all gone. But right now, on the way back home, I'm mostly worried about Y/N and Sarah. The two loves of my life. "I'm sure they're fine." Nat came over and gave my a reassuring smile and rub on the arm.

"But what if they aren't Nat?" I asked.

"Then we'll get them back. You have two strong women Steve."

"I know." I admitted. I loved Y/N for her feisty, spicy personality. She was gorgeous in every way, she was the most caring person I'd ever met, and she got along with every soul.

And of course, Sarah took after her mom. She was very feisty, I would consider her a "diva" as Tony called her. She had her moms face, with my eyes and hair. And she was just as beautiful and kind as her mother. She just took over my willingness to fight. Just like my own mom.

In some of the letters she admitted she was getting bullied, but usually she would manage to push them off. Just like my mother always taught me. That's one of the reasons I'm so glad we named her Sarah.

We landed. I hastily said my goodbyes and rushed into one of the spare city cars we have on the Avengers compound. And I drove. I broke speed limits, I pissed people off on the road, but none of that mattered.

After a solid two hour drive I finally arrived, parked, and ran to check on them. I thew the key in the key fob and quickly jingled it around. I got in and found Sarah. In a corner curled up in a ball crying. Shit.

"Baby, Sarah come here." I told her and scooped her up. She cried into my shoulder and could barely speak. I kept on shhing her as I kissed the top of her head. It physically pains me as a parent to see my child in this condition. "Princess can you tell me what happened?" I asked in a calm caring tone.

"M-m-omm-y t-t-urned t-to d-dus-t-t." She mumbled. My eyes went wide but I tried to keep my self from breaking apart. Y/Ns gone.

"Were you with her?" I asked still calm. She nodded.

"N-next t-to h-he-r Dad-d-dy." She cried some more. I could start feeling tears brewing.

"Okay baby." I told her, "have you slept?" She shook her head and rubbed her eyes. I could tell because of her hazy acting and dark circles. "Let's take a nap okay?" She nodded.

"Daddy?" She asked.

"Yes princess?"

"Can I- can I sleep with you?" I smiled a little.

"Of course sweetheart." I said and put her on Y/Ns side. I stayed with her. I couldn't sleep of course. But I stayed. I ended up texting Nat letting her know. She became upset as well.

I felt like this was all my fault. If we would've fought a little bit harder, none of this would've happened. Eventually, while Sarah was sleeping, I got up and shaved. And cut my long hair. I put on a tank top and sweatpants. Right as I did I heard Sarah scream, which left me running to the bed at her side. She continued to and was saying "Mommy!" Over and over.

"Hey baby, wake up. Daddy's right here." I lightly shook her. I've had bad nightmares from past experiences, Buck and I both, so thankfully I knew how to deal with this. Immediately she awoke and wrapped herself around me as I squeezed her. "I've got you baby girl, I've got you." I told her as she continued to cry. It pained me to see my child like this, I just wanted to punch something. But I knew, no matter what, I had to keep my cool. For her.
.
The next day I helped Sarah pack and we hopped into the car and drove to the Avengers HQ in Upstate New York. Nat has promised us both a room there, which I appreciated. When we made it we got settled in, and thankfully Nat was able to console Sarah for a little while. Pepper was also there as they were still trying to find Tony, and she helped Nat in the efforts to help Sarah.

I couldn't stop thinking about what happened. I felt like I was the reason my daughter was in pain. If only I had fought harder I thought.