New beginnings (S.R.)

I heard a knock on my door and reluctantly got up from reviewing a few files. I made my way to the door and opened it without checking, only to get the surprise of a lifetime. "Sam? Bucky?" I asked as the two men stood in the doorway.

"Hey Y/N." Sam said which took me back for a moment. It had been over a year since anyone had called me by my real name.

"What are you to doing here?" I asked firmly.

"We need your help-" Bucky started.

"No." I said.

"You haven't even heard us out yet-"

"With all due respect, I don't care."

"Could we at least come in?" Sam pleaded. I sighed.

"Fine." I said and maneuvered out of the way to let the two of them in.

"We have a problem." They said as soon as I closed the door, "And at this point, you're one of the few people we trust." I turned my head to not look eye to eye with them. I knew the moment I did I would want to help them. They were my family.

"I can't." I said.

"Why?" Buck asked.

"Because," I sighed, "We all know what happened last time."

"Yeah but," Sam paused before he could mention his name, "He's not here." I clenched my fist tightly by even the remote recalling of him.

"That's the reason why." I stated again.

"Just, please." Buck asked.

"I- What's your problem?" I asked.

"We can't explain it." Sam said, "But we will later."

"Why should I?" I asked.

"To prove yourself wrong."

"What do you mean?" I asked again.

"You've been drug down by him. You changed your entire life because he left you. You're identity even. And that's not what Steve would've wanted." His name came up.

"No." I could feel the tears begin to form.

"Y/N-"

"No!" I raised my voice. It was silence for a few minutes.

"Please?" Bucky asked lightly. There was another pause.

"Maybe." I said.

-A year and a half before-

I looked at my bloody knuckles and slowly walked over to my bag in an attempt to find wound bandage to wrap them up in. I was mad at everyone, but mostly myself. "Y/N?" I could hear Bucky lightly say. I didn't respond. "Y/N?" He repeated.

"What?" I snapped back.

"You haven't eaten in almost a week-"

"I know." I stated bluntly.

"You haven't slept in a week-"

"Bucky, tell me something I don't know."

"Steve wouldn't want this."

"Yeah well Steve didn't want me either so." I could hear Bucky sigh.

"He's worried about you." I quickly picked up my bag and threw it over my shoulder.

"If he was so worried about me he would've chosen to stay."

I walked back to my room and set my bag down. I slumped myself on the edge of my bed and looked down letting every emotion I could process in my mind. Soon enough, the tears began forming, then streaming. "Y/N?" I heard Steve quietly come in. I refused to look up. "Baby?"

"Don't call me that." I snapped. He sighed.

"How can I help?" He asked after a few moments of silence. I sarcastically laughed a little.

"How can you help?" I asked looking up to meet his concerned face, "By leaving me alone."

"Y/N-"

"Don't make this harder for me Steven Grant Rogers. I've given up 10 years worth of my life to be with you and I refuse to waste anymore." I got up and began walking past him. But before I did I dropped my wedding band and engagement ring in his hand. "Give those to Peggy if you would." His mouth dropped open in amazement as I gave them up. "I'm sure she'll enjoy them."

-Present-day-

I thought for a few moments as both the men stared at me from where they were sitting on my couch. "Fine." I murmured.

"You'll do it?" Bucky brightened up. I nodded.

"I'll do it. When do we start?"

"Now," Sam answered as they got up and grabbed my hand.