Unexpected announcement (S.R.)

Steve stood by the window, arms crossed, looking out over the lake at the compound. I couldn't tell what he was thinking, how he was feeling. His face was blank.

I didn't bother him for a few hours. I knew he was struggling with grasping the idea that after fighting for four years to get Bucky back he was gone. And Sam was gone. And Wanda was gone. And everyone he called his close family was gone. Besides Nat and I.

I tried to occupy myself as best I could. It's a lot harder than it looks when you feel like an absolute disappointment.

We held a team meeting earlier, and that went as well as it could. The whole thing was just so depressing. The Avengers had failed. "Steve?" I asked from a distance. He didn't respond, vocally or physically. So I slowly walked up to him. I placed my hand on his broad shoulder. "If you need anything I'm here, okay?" I asked as gently as I could. He lightly nodded but didn't move his gaze.

I went and took a shower. A long, hot shower. I stood there for some time and just thought. About any possible way, it could've gone differently. About any way, we could've saved the lives that we're lost.

I got out and changed into a large t-shirt. Steve had moved from the window and was now sitting on the bed with his head in his hands.

I slowly climbed into my side of the bed and laid down. He followed a few moments later. I wasn't sure how to address him. "I'm always here for you," I told him as we both stared at the ceiling, "If you want to talk you can if you don't then we won't." He sighed which was the most interaction we'd had today.

I continued to admire him from my side of the bed. I soon saw tears running down his face. I jumped into action and began cradling him as he sobbed. I had seen Steve sob once or twice before, but this time it was even worst.

He held onto my shirt for dear life as tears stained both it and his cheeks. I gently played with his longer hair, twirling it in my fingers. "Let it all out," I told him and kissed the top of his head.

After a good half hour cry, he was finally willing to talk, and I was willing to listen. In our relationship, it was typically the other way around, I would talk about everything I could and Steve would listen, smiling and nodding.

"Why don't we run a bath?" I asked him once he finished up. He nodded and I quickly got up and ran to our en suite. I turned on the water and added some soap for bubbles. "The baths ready." I walked out and gave Steve a smile.

He came in and let me sit back on him like we usually did. We laid there in silence a few moments before he finally started up the conversation. "Thank you," He sighed, "For being here."

"You shouldn't be thanking me," I smiled lightly and held his hand which laid on the bathtub side, "It's my duty as your wife." He gave me a kiss on the head before sitting back again.

We sat like that for quite a while, my head on his chest as we laid together looking out the window. Amidst all the chaos at least we had calm moments like these. "The baths getting cold." I pointed out. Steve nodded and got out first, wrapping himself, then helped me out and helped me wrap myself.

We both got changed into loungewear before getting in bed. We faced each other just looking at one another for a while. You need to tell him, I thought. "Steve?" I asked lightly.

"What is it darling?" He asked me, searching my face with his eyes.

"I um," I began, "I know we've been through a lot, especially recently, but I just- I have something to tell you."

"Anything." He said a little worried I could tell.

"I'm pregnant," I said lightly, looking up from where I was playing with my fingers. His eyes went wide.

"You're pregnant?" He asked and I nodded. He lightly smiled, "That's an amazing doll." He said and grabbed my hand in his. "We're gonna be parents and have a child." I nodded. He continued smiling, the first that I had seen in what felt like a while.

"Yeah, we are." I smiled back. "I um- I know it's not great timing but-"

"Timing doesn't matter Y/N," He said lightly, barely above a whisper, "I mean we've never really discussed this but I- I think I want to keep the baby." He said and put a hand on my cheek, lightly caressing it.

"I do too." I said and looked up at him, "I love you so much."

"I love you too." He smiled and brought me to a long, light kiss. "And I will forever."

"And ever." I finished off.