Gone Pt. 2 (S.R.)

It's been 3 solid weeks of nothing more than saddened teenagers and my mentally and emotionally unstable self trying to deal with an entire family. I'm lucky enough to know people like Pepper who can at least help me when it comes to my job as being a mother, but my kids are still so uneven right now.

I was sleeping as best I could when a buzzing from my phone startled me awake. I grabbed it and answered, "Hello?" I mumbled still half asleep.

"Mrs. Rogers?" I heard Fury's voice.

"Yes?" I asked immediately sitting up.

"It's Fury. We've found Steve." I could feel tears on the brink of falling. "He's barely making it right now. S.H.I.E.L.D.s transferring him to Grace Hospital. If you could make it that would be great. But please leave the kids at home."

"A-alright." I responded jumping out of bed. I threw on a t-shirt and jeans, before calling Bucky, telling him, and he was over in 5 minutes for me to leave.

I broke every rule of the road and law for that matter to get to Steve. I parked the car in the parking garage and ran to the elevator before sprinting to the emergency room entrance. Once I was in there were countless S.H.I.E.L.D. agents a few who immediatly recognized me and took me back to Fury. There I was explained that he would go into surgery in 20 minutes, but at the moment he was unconscious and I wasn't allowed to see him.

After preparing to watch the operation, they rolled my love in. He was barely recognizable under the bruising, blood, and dirt that resided on his face. I patiently waited and watched the whole two-hour surgery.

They found him a room and let him recover there. I sat next to him the entire time until 12 hours later Sam came in. The kids were still unable to see him out of fear for their protection. I could hear him sigh.

"I don't know who I feel worst for, you or him." He said moving his eyes to Steve. I looked down. He sat down next to me and held my hand as I began to softly cry into him. "It's okay, let it all go." he told me and hugged me. We then heard a groan and both looked over to see a waking Steve.

"Steve?" I asked him and got up walking towards his bed.

"Doll." he responded and lightly smiled as I grabbed his hand.

"Oh my gosh," I began more tears falling, "I thought you were gone."

"I thought I was too." He began, "I would never leave you, you know that?" He asked and I kissed his hand.

"You're alive." I started. "You're actually alive." He slightly nodded.

"How are the kids?"

"They're okay. Probably a lot better knowing their dad is alive." He smiled again. "Steve don't do that again. You nearly gave a heart attack." He chuckled softly, almost inaudibly.

"I'll try doll." I was still heavy breathing as my mind was trying to process the fact that my husband was alive. He took his hand and touched it to my face, rubbing his thumb against my cheekbone. In return, I reached my head down and gave him a light kiss on the lips which he gave back. It lasted for a few seconds before Sam interjected.

"Get a room." He said, leaning against the wall with his arm crossed and rolling his eyes.

"Technically this is Steve's room." I snapped back at him, glaring. He rolled his eyes again, "The door is right there if you want to leave." He huffed.

"I guess I'll deal with you two love birds."

"That's what I thought." I said and gave him a sassy smile.

After a full night with Steve in the hospital, curled in the chair next to him, the kids came in the next morning.

"Dad!" James nearly screamed as he came running up to his old man and gave him a tight hug. Steve returned it.

"Hey, buddy." When they released James was crying but came over to me. I held him and just let him cry. Then I saw Hannah. She looked kind of pissed. Actually really pissed. But she walked up to her dad and engulfed in the biggest hug I'd seen either of them give. This was when Steve started crying.

"Dad, why did you do that?" She asked after a few minutes of hugging once he let go.

"I'm so sorry sweetheart." He said putting his huge hand on her small cheek. Yes, she was quite petite like me. Then she began just balling tears out. He grabbed her and pulled her to his chest as he nuzzled his nose on the top of her head.

"Daddy I missed you." She mumbled. Everyone including Steve paused. She hadn't called him daddy since she was 8 and calling your father "daddy" became "uncool".

"I missed you too Bans." Bans was a nickname only Steve was allowed to call Hannah. It came from her favorite food when she was little, bananas, and it somewhat rhymes with her name.

"Don't do that ever again dad. Don't scare me like that again." He paused for a brief moment before looking down and deeply exhaling.

"I promise."