Mr. Steve (S.R.)

(A/N: Alright so I have a lot of writer's block. I really can't think much right now so I won't be uploading a lot, despite some requests I've agreed to write. I know I've told some that they would be done in a few days, but I'm very sorry, it's going to take longer. Thanks!)

"Just be calm, okay?" I warned Steve as I fumbled with the keys in the lock of my small apartment, "I don't know how Violet will react, but I just need to calm her down if anything happens." He nodded from behind me and took a deep breath as we stepped in.

Steve stood in the living room area as I went and found our babysitter, Kate, and Violet in her room. "Hey baby," I smiled as the three-year-old shot up from her small purple bed and hugged my legs, "Did you have fun?"

"Yeah, mama." She smiled happily as Kate got up. I quickly paid her as she made her way out.

"Alright, I brought someone special, okay baby?" I squatted down to her level, keeping eye contact but holding her arms lightly, "He's a really nice friend, okay? He won't hurt you." Her eyes grew a little big as I could see her starting to worry. "It's okay baby," I squeezed her in a hug, brushing my fingers through her hair, "Why don't you come out and meet him?" She reluctantly nodded and grabbed her teddy bear.

I walked her out in my hand, lightly kneeling down to where Steve was. I looked up at him where he lightly smiled at her, bending down. She stopped and looked at him for a minute, rushing behind my legs after giving him a lookup and down. "Vivi," I squatted down too to look at her, "This is Steve. He's one of mama's friends and he's super nice." She briefly looked over my shoulder, at Steve.

"Hi," I could hear him lightly say to her. She looked back at me quickly, as tears began to form in her eyes.

"He's not gonna hurt you, baby, okay?" I told her and began caressing her cheeks with both my hands. Those tears quickly began coming down her face. "Oh sweetheart," I hugged her, "Why don't you go to bed, okay?" She nodded as I picked her up, and looked over giving Steve a tight smile before rushing her to bed, calming her down, and getting her to sleep. I walked back out to see Steve on the couch, giving him a cringe. "I'm really sorry." I huffed out.

"It's alright," He got up and lightly smiled, "We'll try again later, okay?" I nodded, as tears began forming in my own eyes.

"She's just scared." I murmured as the hot drops began running down my cheeks. Steve quickly wrapped me in a tight hug, squeezing. "I feel so bad."

"I know," He sighed, giving me a long kiss on the head, "But it's not your fault."

"I just," I sighed, leaning into his touch, "You know what her father did to her and me-"

"I know," He said, "And she's really nervous around men. It's okay though, we'll move on her schedule."

"Mama?" I heard a small voice behind me. Steve let me go so I could turn around.

"Yeah, Vivi?" I asked her from where she stood down the hall.

"I- I'm sorry," She mumbled.

"Don't worry honey," I knelt down hugging her, "Take your time." She looked over again at Steve.

"H-hello." She mumbled.

"Hi," He said lightly, squatting down again to her level. "I'm Steve." He smiled. She nodded, and slowly walked towards him. He stuck his hand out for her, which she took and very lightly shook one of his fingers.

"You're not gonna hurt my mama right?" She asked.

"Of course not," He sighed.

"Promise?" She asked and stuck her pinkie finger out.

"Promise." He smiled and shook it with his own.

"I'm tired," She looked back at me.

"Alright babes, let's go to bed." I picked her up and placed her once again in bed, giving her a kiss and shutting her door for the final time. Steve stood there in the living room, a little awkwardly. "She gets protective."

"Understood." He lightly chuckled. "I'm glad she at least talked to me."

"See," I smiled, "Improvement." I sighed and sat on the couch next to him, "Thank you for coming and meeting her though. You're the first guy that has, especially after I told you about what happened with her father."

"She deserved a happy life," He said, "So do you. And while I don't know if I can I still wanted to meet her-"

"Thank you, Steve," I replied, "Really, truly. She just needs some time to adjust to you and then I think she'll be okay." He nodded.

"I hope so."

-A week later-

"Mr. Steve?" Violet climbed up on the couch next to Steve.

"Mhm?" He asked, looking at her.

"Why're you so big?" I lightly smiled.

"Well," He sighed, "I exercise, a lot, and eat all my fruits and vegetables."

"But vegetables are ew!" She scrunched her nose for emphasis.

"But they make you big and strong." He smiled at her.

"Why do you need to be so big Mr. Steve?" She asked.

"To fight off all the bad guys."

"The bad guys?" She asked and he nodded, "That's good." He lightly chuckled.

"It is good."

"Mr. Steve?" She asked again, "What's your favorite animal?"

"I think that's enough questions for Mr. Steve today, Vivi," I told her as I grabbed some water for us. "Why don't you go and grab a toy to show us, babes?" She nodded eagerly and shot up, running down the hall to her room. I looked down and smiled at Steve, giving him a kiss. "I think she likes you." I sat next to him, as he lightly smiled back.

"I hope so." He nervously rubbed the back of his neck.

"You've grown a lot on her in the last week," I took a sip of my glass, "I think you'll get even closer."

"I just don't wanna hurt her." He admitted.

"You won't Steve," I smiled, "You're one of the most considerate if not the most considerate person I've ever met. And the fact that you're worried about her even after only a week is enough to tell me that you really do care."

"Do you think she trusts me?" He asked.

"I don't know," I sighed, "I think she will. But having an abusive dad doesn't wash away, ya know? She's going to have these issues for a while. But if you can deal with them then I think she will be alright."

"Mama!" She came running back in with a stuffed dog, "This is Puppy." She showed it to Steve and he smiled.

"Puppy, huh?" He asked.

"I want a real puppy, but mama says no." Steve looked at me. I rolled my eyes.

"It's because puppies are big responsibilities."

"Sponserbilities?" She butchered it as Steve as I laughed.

"Responsibilities," I clarified, "Responsibilities are when you have something you have to take care of."

"Oh, okay." She sighed, "But I can take care of a puppy!"

"Maybe later babes," I put her in my lap and kissed the top of her hair, "When you're older."

"But puppies are fun-" Steve added on. I lightly slapped his arm.

"Don't give her ideas." I scolded him.

"See, puppies are fun mama! Mr. Steve even said so!"