Three Stabs and Apologies (S.R.)

It was supposed to be a simple mission and go as planned. Nothing too big, enough for you, your husband Steve, and his best friend Bucky to handle. But of course, it's never that easy.

The base ended up exploding, HYDRA agents flooding out fully armed like swarms of insects. "Shit." You muttered.

"Yeah, shit." You heard Bucky say through the com.

"Just stay calm, alright?" Steve said. You scoffed, attempting to do so while battling at least half a dozen agents. "Can we get back up?" Steve asked next into the com.

"Already on our way," You heard Nat come in, "Two minutes out."

"Any way to speed that up?" Bucky inquired this time.

"Unfortunately, Sargent Barnes, a Quinjet cannot exceed 1600 miles per hour." He sighed.

"If you insist."

So the three of you continued trying to battle off waves of agents. They were by no means as skilled as you three, but they most definitely outnumbered you.

"How're you doing Y/N?" Steve asked.

"Fine," You huffed out. You had a fraction of the abilities the two super soldiers you fought with had, and that resulted in your body giving out more easily. So for now, you could handle the feeling of your lungs closing in on themselves, but you knew you would pass out soon.

"30 seconds." Nat chimed in again. So the three of you continued your assault, which seemed to be working. Finally, you heard the large jet behind you, and out came Nat, Sam, and a whole S.H.I.E.L.D. strike team.

"Finally," Bucky muttered. Right as a wave of relief washed over you, a whole other sensation entered your body. You felt multiple stabbing pains throughout your abdomen, looking back to see one of the HYDRA agents with a bloody knife in his hand. Before you could fight back, your body fell limp to the ground.

"Y/N!" Steve yelled, running to you and hitting the agent with his shield, which you knew caused instant death. He kneeled down beside you, quickly picking up your nerveless body and comming in, "We need medics. NOW." He emphasized. "You're fine, sweetie." He kissed the top of your head, sprinting you to the jet.

"Steve," You murmured, out of breath. Every moment you made caused a flash of pain across your body, you felt like you couldn't take it.

"Stay with me, love." He said, picking up speed.

"I-" Just as you were going to continue, you coughed blood all over his arms.

"Shit." He muttered, now running at full speed. Before you could say anything, everything went black.

A week had passed since the mission. You were still in the hospital wing of the compound, healing, and unconscious. Steve sat by you the whole time, only moving twice. Each time when Bucky and Sam forced him to take a shower. Even then he was extremely reluctant to leave your side. "I can't live without you," Steve said for the millionth time whenever he saw you.

Yet you still laid there, asleep and on a respirator. The surgery to fix your internal organs and wounds had gone successfully, but that didn't mean your body would catch up. And that made Steve become an extremely tedious person. He couldn't handle your partial lifeless body just lying there.

It was a week and a half in when the doctors came in to discuss exactly what Steve didn't want to discuss: what would happen if you didn't wake up? The typical amount of time they gave was three weeks, but they said they could make a special exception for your case, giving you one extra week before Steve had to make the decision. And if you didn't wake up, he knew he would have to say goodbye and let you suffer no longer.

So there, he sat next to you for almost three weeks, every hour of every day. He had some books, but it wasn't like he was actually invested in them. The stories could barely separate his mind from the fact that you could be gone.

That was until day 20. He heard a small groan beside him, his head spinning over to see you awakening, still barely moving. "Doll?" He asked, placing his book down on the cheap wooden table next to the chair he sat in.

"Steve?" You responded, opening your eyes. He let out a heavy sigh of relief and a small smile.

"I'll call the doctors in." He grabbed one of the small remotes, pressing the help button, and within a few minutes, your two doctors were rushing in. They checked all your vitals, asked you how you were feeling, and gave the full diagnosis that you were fine other than the wounds, and would likely need another three to four days in the hospital before you could be released to go home. "How're you?" Steve asked once everyone else left.

"Alright," You groaned, trying to shift yourself slightly to face him, "Not bad for three stab wounds." You lightly chuckled, which you couldn't lie, hurt quite a bit. Steve lightly smiled.

"I'm so sorry." He said out loud. Your eyebrows furrowed as you gave him a confused look.

"Sorry?" You asked, he nodded, "Why're you sorry?" He sighed.

"I could've stopped it," He said, "You shouldn't have been put up against all those HYDRA agents. You don't have the serum that Buck and I do and that makes you more vulnerable and if I wouldn't have been so stupid and would have-"

"Hey, hey, hey," You huffed out, interrupting him, "Listen, this is our job. We have to do this. Even if it costs a price like this." You took another deep breath to continue, "You were dealing with your own group of agents, Buck has his, and I had to deal with mine too. You did enough by running off and bringing me back to the jet."

"Yeah but I could've-"

"You did what you could Steve," You said again, "Please, don't beat yourself up over this. You did what you were supposed to do. I should be thanking you right now, actually." It was silent for a few moments.

"I don't know what I would do without you." He said very lightly, barely above a whisper. You lightly smiled, leaning over just a little to grab his hand.

"I love you," You smiled, squeezing his within yours.

"I love you too." He smiled, getting up and giving you a kiss on the top of the head.