Ch. 105 The Replacements

As promised, Torrey grabbed ten pork belly tacos for his Monday afternoon lunch. The basketball game with Hojo had left him feeling famished, and for a moment he wondered if ten would even be enough. Rindo, who had not participated in the game, also grabbed ten tacos.

"Don't give me that look, Kohai. I was cheerin' you on the whole time! That takes a lot of energy too, you know," says Rindo.

"I was actually surprised you only went with ten."

The pair of former council members find some open seats in the heart of the bustling Totsuki cafeteria. With such a wide variety of eateries around, a trip down the table was like a gourmet trip around the globe. Torrey didn't even recognize some of the dishes that his fellow students had selected.

"Yoohoo! Torrey-kins!" says Alice Nakiri, approaching the table along with Ryo Kurokiba. They grab the seats right across from Torrey and Rindo.

"Hey Alice. Ryo," says Torrey, before chomping down on the first taco.

"Yo," says Ryo.

"Hmm...we were kinda in the middle of somethin' here," says Rindo, also biting into the first crispy bite of fried pork.

"Oh! My bad. I didn't even see YOU there. Ever since you got kicked off the council, it seems like you kinda just blend right into the crowd," remarks Alice. Rindo doesn't even acknowledge this, choosing instead to take another bite of her meal.

"Really? I'd notice those long scarlet locks anywhere. And those beautiful amber eyes! Although I can only ever see one...plus, Rindo-Senpai's one of the tallest girls here. She's kinda hard to miss," says Torrey. "Uh...I mean..."

"Hey! You're not supposed to defend her!" says Alice.

"Aww, Kohai! Say more nice things about me!" says Rindo, suddenly interested in the conversation. Alice might as well have been absent from the table.

"I've said too much," says Torrey, crossing his arms and looking away stubbornly.

"That's okay; you already made my day," says Rindo, looking at Torrey even more affectionately than usual. For a moment, she wasn't even thinking about the plate of tacos. But only for a moment.

"You can say nice things about me too, Torrey-kins. Whenever you're ready," says Alice, looking at Torrey expectantly.

"W-well...now it feels kinda forced," says Torrey. "Maybe some other time."

"Rude!"

"If anyone's being rude here, it's you. You interrupted our meal, but worst of all, you don't even have a lunch," says Rindo, gesturing to the empty space in front of Alice, with a taco.

"You're right! I didn't even catch that," says Torrey.

"It was the first thing I noticed about them, Kohai. Never trust someone who didn't bring a lunch," says Rindo, squinting an eye suspiciously at Alice.

"Ah! Haha, w-well...that's an easy one...you see, I was...er, rather, Ryo and I were walking...and...we saw you...I mean, your plates! Ryo thought the tacos looked good, and wanted to know where you got them from. Right Ryo?"

"Sure."

"More like you saw us and got jealous. Pfft. First-years," says Rindo, shaking her head. She suddenly looks at Torrey. "No offense."