Ch.4 A Briefing on Beefing (Ikumi Mito)

As she entered the cafeteria, trailed by Hisako and Torrey, Erina pondered her first impression of the new student. He's nothing like that Yukihira character. But something about his cooking still reminds me of...

            "Hey! New guy, over here!" Soma's voice cut through the crowded cafeteria. Seated with Megumi, Ryoko, and an attractive blonde, he looked like a Harem King. "Oh, it's Nakiri! And Secretary Girl!"      

            "You...know...Yukihira?" asked Erina, eyebrows shifting to match her astonishment.

            "I met him right before 1st period. Kind of a funny story, really..."

            "Well, perhaps another time then. Thank you for the meal, and good day!" The rabble of students parted before their queen as she stormed past Soma's table. Torrey's jaw dropped.

            "Miss Erina doesn't get along with Soma; it's complicated. I'd better not let her wander off. I'd also like to thank you for the dish, and I look forward to tomorrow's class!" Hisako gave a brief bow before dashing after her master. The drama continues to unfold at Totsuki! Torrey mused while approaching Soma's table. His friends greeted him with smiles, but the blonde eyed him enviously.        

            "Are you friends with...Erina Nakiri?" She was dumbfounded, much like Erina had been after learning of Torrey's friendship with Soma. Her eyebrows even wrinkled the same way.

            "I guess...I mean no. Kind of. We had an assignment to cook for Hisako and Erina in second period. Then they showed me to the cafeteria."

            Megumi's eyes widened. "You cooked for Erina? That's so scary...I could never..." An imaginary pot appeared before her hands, which she began whisking vigorously.

            "And you lived to tell the tale?" questioned Ryoko. She calmly took Megumi's hands and placed them back on the table. The God's Tongue's fame spanned the entire campus, evidently.

            "Hehe, I think it went well! Both girls approved the dish."

            "WAIT. SERIOUSLY?" For the first time since Torrey had met him, Soma was fired up. Torrey met his glare and shrugged, causing Soma to relax a bit. "That's a good one, Nakiri liking a dish. Ha!"

            "I'm not messing around. We all got partnered up and made hamburgers. Only one dish passed the test." Torrey grinned, and everyone at the table gasped.

            "I'll admit it when something tastes good- like that scramble you made this morning! But Nakiri? It goes against her nature! It's unnatural! You couldn't pay that girl to praise a dish..." Soma trailed off, allowing another strange glimpse into his history with Erina. Suddenly, his yellow eyes lit up like rockets in the night sky.

            "That's it! We're having a Shokugeki!"

            "A shoki-whatsy?" Torrey tried to repeat.

            "Oh geez, Soma would you give the guy a break? It's his FIRST DAY." Ryoko warned.

            "SOMA YUKIHIRA!" Silence enveloped the room, as the once boisterous mob of students waited to witness the source of commotion. A pasty blonde male pushed his way through, trailed by a much rounder boy wearing spiked hair.

            "We've still got a score to settle! Did you really just challenge this...wait, who is this?" The blonde kid looked puzzled, his intimidating aura already depleted.

            "This is Torrey...he's new..." offered Megumi.

            "What are you going on about this time, Takumi?" Soma asked the blonde.