Interlude: Valentine's Day

(Author's Note: I felt like I had to do something for Valentine's Day, but this chapter's pretty irrelevant; it has no bearings on the actual story. We're currently in late November/Early December with Day Two of the resistance mop-ups next, so think of this as a possible future event)

Torrey had barely set foot through the door of his first period classroom, when he was besieged by an all-girl army. The oncoming attackers scrambled to line up in an orderly fashion, each girl seeking to present Torrey with a gift of chocolate. They were armed with boxes, and bags, and tins, each filled with hearts, and bars, and truffles.

He was taken aback, although if he had any self-awareness, he wouldn't have been. Each female classmate stopped in front of him, bestowing her gift and some brief words, before stepping aside and making room for the next girl.

"Please accept these!"

"I hope you like them."

"I tried my best!"

Somehow the entire process managed to unfold smoothly. Saying thank you so many times became tedious for Torrey, and there was no way he'd be able to eat all of the chocolates, but he was grateful that the girls had taken the time to make him something. It certainly wasn't like Valentine's Day in America.

Once the line had dispersed, Torrey made his way to the back of the room, taking his usual seat next to Alice. She ignored him, which was strange, because she was usually the first to greet him.

"Hey Alice," said Torrey. She was frowning, and avoiding his gaze.

"Did I do something wrong?" Torrey stared at her until she relented.

"No, I just figured that your ego could use a break from all the attention," she teased, finally offering a grin. "I know you're popular with the ladies, but even I didn't see THAT one coming."

"Oh, the blitzkrieg? I didn't expect that either. Where I'm from, Valentine's Day is when the guys go crazy by spending a bunch of money on flowers and chocolates and stuff in a strange, money-for-sex kind of scheme. Quid pro quo."

"That's crazy! So you're telling me that, if we were in America right now, you'd be showering me with lavish gifts and trying to get me into bed with you?"

"Hypothetically speaking, yes, if we were in a relationship or trying to start one."

"What do you mean, 'if'? Ughh...," said Alice, clearly deflated. She was frowning again. "Wait, so you don't know what Valentine's Day is like here?"

"I've seen it in anime before, but I didn't think..."

"Are you talking about those silly little cartoons? Ha, you're a riot."

Torrey looked down, just now noticing the fancy tin of chocolates on Alice's desk.

"What are those?"

"Oh these? Well, I was going to give them to you. But I'm sure you have enough chocolate already. I'll probably just eat them later for a snack or something."

Through the clear case of the tin, Torrey could see gorgeous, shimmering spheres of chocolate. They were minuscule, and the shiny cluster reminded Torrey of caviar. Alice was right- he definitely didn't need any more chocolates. But something about them was so alluring...

"Geez, would you stop staring already? Fine, I guess you can have them," said Alice, smiling as she pushed the tin over to Torrey.

"Thanks, I'll just try a bite for now," he said. That bite sent him soaring into a rich, chocolatey heaven. It was sweet, but there was also a hint of...Whoa! It really is caviar!