Ch. 109 Torrey Pops the Question

"No Yuki, today?" asks Torrey, as he hits a volleyball lazily over the net. Ryoko Sakaki, on the opposite side, returns his serve with a similar lack of effort.

            "She was supposed to be catching up on her rest yesterday, but then you stayed up all night playing videogames together!" says Ryoko. Her long scarlet hair was tied up in a neat ponytail, and she wore the standard Totsuki gym uniform. A plain white shirt with her name across the chest, and navy blue athletic shorts.

            "Okay, now I feel bad," admits Torrey. The two Polaris dorm-mates were putting in the minimum amount of effort needed to earn their participation points for the day. Sometimes they didn't even bother returning the ball; Torrey would just let it drop in front of him, then he'd pick it up and serve it back half-heartedly.

            "Hmm, it's still mostly her fault. Just try to be mindful next time," says Ryoko, now feeling guilty for making Torrey feel guilty. As the resident big-sister figure of Polaris, she obviously had a soft spot for Torrey and didn't chastise him as much as the others.

            "You got it, Ryoko-neesan," says Torrey.

            "Hey! Don't call me that!"

            "Sorry, I heard Megumi say it the other day and I couldn't help myself."

            "B-besides...I thought you said that you didn't think of me as a sister..." says Ryoko.        

            "I don't. It'd be too weird to have lewd thoughts about...uh, I mean..."

            "Hey, Teach- are you hearin' this? Make them do some laps, too!" yells Rindo, passing the court just in time to hear this last exchange. "On second thought, just send Kohai."

            "Kobayashi! I said no talking! That's another lap for you!" yells the instructor, as he blows into his whistle.

            "No fair! You can't just..." starts Rindo, but the instructor gives her the 'try and test me' look. She closes her mouth and keeps running. Once she's far enough away, Ryoko sticks her tongue out at her.

            "This might actually be a win for her. The more laps she runs, the more room she has for lunch," says Torrey, thinking in Rindo's terms.

            Ryoko laughs at this, and serves the ball again. The reason Rindo was running in the first place was because she had been a little too flirtatious with Torrey at the start of the period. Their instructor was pretty laid-back, so it was surprising that Rindo actually managed to cross the line.

            Torrey recoils as the ball hits him in the face; he'd been preoccupied with watching Rindo and forgot what he was doing. Luckily, Ryoko didn't seem to notice the cause of his distraction.

            "Torrey! Agh, I'm so sorry!" says Ryoko, dashing over to the other side of the net. She gets close to Torrey- really close, and gently places a hand on his head to check for a bump. Torrey becomes acutely aware of just how close they actually are.     

            "D-don't worry about it; that was on me," he says, awkwardly.

            "In any event, we should get this looked at. Excuse me, Sensei! I need to take Torrey to the nurse's office," says Ryoko. She grabs Torrey by the hand and leads him over to their instructor.

            "What happened?! That's a hell of a lump...looks like you've got a pumpkin growing on your head," says the instructor.

            "I was just being careless, I guess," says Torrey, telling the truth without telling the whole story.