Ch. 54 A Trip Down to Flavortown

Erina Nakiri stood in front of the refrigerator, frowning. She opened it again, for the fourth time, apparently expecting some ingredients to appear. Then she slammed it shut in frustration.

"This isn't nearly enough to work with. How can we expect to make decent practice dishes with such meager rations?" said Erina, letting out an exasperated sigh.

"Can't you just drop your name again to get another delivery?" asked Soma. "Although, we do have plenty of potatoes leftover..."

"I'm well aware of the potato situation, Yukihira! It's not that simple, and I wouldn't expect anything to arrive until tomorrow at the earliest, in any event."

"I could run to the store and pick up a few things. Or just loot one of the cooking halls on campus. That way everyone can keep studying. I don't really need to be here, anyway," said Torrey. Erina gave him a look that was hard to interpret.

"Don't get me wrong! I'm grateful for your lessons, and I'm totally digging the hot teacher look, Erina. But no one else can afford to lose out on valuable study time."

Erina seemed to consider this for a moment, and nodded. Once she realized what he'd actually said, however, her face grew bright red.

"Y-yes! Go! And t-take your lewd t-thoughts with you..." said Erina.

Why does he keep mentioning that... she thought.

"If Kohai's going to have lewd thoughts, they should involve me," said Rindo, grabbing Torrey's arm and nestling up against him. "And I REALLY don't need to be here, so I'll be accompanying him, of course."

"Don't you mean 'escort' him?" muttered Yuki, under her breath.

"What was that?" said Rindo.

"Just a sneeze."

"Sure didn't sound like one."

"Well it was."

"Okay, then."

Megumi and Ryoko glanced nervously back and forth between Rindo, Erina and Torrey. Their jealousy towards Rindo had already peaked, and then Torrey went and casually threw that comment at Erina.

Ryoko needed to get a leg up on the competition, and just as she was about to volunteer herself for the shopping trip, Alice beat her to the punch.

"Hold on a sec! I only came to this dumb review because of Torrey, so if he's going shopping, I'm going too!" she said, pouting.

"Alice, you need these lessons just as much as anyone else in the room," said Erina. "I wouldn't advise you to..."

"Can it, Coz! I can cook circles around you if I so choose," said Alice.

"Like you did during the Halloween Baking Championships? And just what kind of circles are you referring to? Do you mean to say those strange pools of flavor that you slather onto your plates and try to pass off as complete dishes?"

"That's uncalled for! You don't know the true value of science!"

"I'm stating a scientific fact."

"Whoa, girls! Can't we all just get along?" said Soma.

"STAY OUT OF THIS, YUKIHIRA!" shouted Erina.

"YEAH, MIND YOUR OWN BEESWAX!" screamed Alice.

"It seems they've found a common enemy," said Marui, observing the drama with 20/20 vision on the sidelines, through his lenses. Ibusaki nodded, his eyes hidden beneath a mop of orange hair.