Ch. 16 The Beach Episode

The mid-afternoon sun hung lazily over a cool, blue sea. Small dunes of sand dotted the beach, marked by the occasional umbrella. The fall weather was unseasonably warm, providing the students of Totsuki with an easy choice for how to spend their day off.

"Torrreeeyyy! Come here for a minute, I need your help," said Alice Nakiri, resting comfortably on a shaded beach towel.

"Sure thing. Hey Ibusaki, wanna sub in for a few rounds?" Torrey asked his quiet dorm mate. Shun Ibusaki had been watching the intense game of volleyball with no sign of interest, his eyes hidden behind a messy orange mop of hair.

"Absolutely. I've been waiting for this moment with bated breath," he said, unconvincingly.

"Wait, you're leaving NOW? We're down by two and it's almost match point!" said Ikumi Mito, Torrey's partner. She put on her best pouty face to sway him back. On the other side of the net, Soma Yukiria winked at his own partner.

"We got this," he said to Megumi Tadokoro. She nodded wisely.

"Right. Ibusaki has strength, but his athleticism is questionable. An easier foe than Torrey, most likely." Totsuki students wouldn't guess it from her nervous mannerisms and shy personality, but Megumi was seriously competitive when it came to sports. She would give it her all, regardless of the opponent.

Before leaving the court, Torrey whispered to Ibusaki, "If you don't win this thing, she's gonna kill us both." He glanced at Ikumi, who narrowed her eyes at him.

"Have faith in Ibusaki, he could be our secret weapon!"

"I hope this doesn't resort to violence," said Ibusaki.

Torrey and Ikumi started with a hot streak, but as the match continued and the sweat started to drip, it became increasingly difficult for Torrey to focus. More than a few points had been lost while he caught himself staring at his partner. Ikumi's bathing suit left little to the imagination, but then again, her school uniform didn't either.

Torrey ran over to one of the nearby umbrellas, where Alice was stretched out underneath its protection. Ryo Kurokiba sat nearby, with his own umbrella. He stared blankly out towards the waves.

"There you are!" Alice thrust a bottle of sunscreen into Torrey's hands. "I wanna go in the water, but my skin won't last for long. The sun's like, blistering today." She was laying on her stomach, resting her hands beneath her cheeks, and looking at Torrey expectantly. "Make sure you get the hard-to-reach places."

Torrey quickly inspected her fair skin, taking note of the supple curves. I guess she's right...it couldn't hurt to help a friend in need.

"Well?" Alice looked at Torrey and raised an eyebrow. He dropped down to his knees beside her, and squeezed some of the lotion onto her back.

"OOOH! That's cold. Don't forget the thighs, too."

"Err...right," Torrey said, gently rubbing it in. Her skin was even softer than it looked. Alice giggled.

"Hehe, that tickles."

"Sorry, I can just stop if it's uncomfortable..."

"Don't be silly, it feels great." After Torrey finished, Alice rolled over onto her back. "Might as well get this side, too." She smiled up at him. Just as he was about to cover her stomach...wham!

"Gaaah!" Torrey winced at the impact of the volleyball against his back. When he turned, he thought Megumi was glaring at him. It lasted only for a second, and then she was wearing her usual friendly smile.