Ch. 72 The Fateful Day Approaches

When Torrey awoke the next morning, he went straight to the kitchens to make himself breakfast. Although it was very considerate of the hotel management to clear out their kitchens for the students, this also meant that the students would be responsible for cooking their own meals.

It was still early, and the hotel was quiet. Some of the students who had failed the standard exam yesterday had already been sent home. Once he reached the kitchens, however, Torrey could hear the unmistakable sound of a chef at work.

"Torrey-kins!" said Alice, as soon as Torrey walked in. After she gave him the cold shoulder last time on the train, Torrey was relieved that she'd gone back to her usual, overly enthusiastic greeting.

"Morning, Alice. I didn't think anyone would be in here...I promise I'm not here to spy."

"Don't worry about it. In fact, you can spy on me anytime," said Alice, with a wink.

"I probably won't take you up on that, but thanks anyways. Whoa...what is that?" said Torrey, pointing to the fancy contraption that Alice was using. It was some sort of a pot, with various glass tubes attached, and a wired control panel.

"Did you even pay attention in my class? It's a rotary vacuum evaporator, duuuh. I had to call in some favors to get it here, though. These kitchens are positively ancient."

"Right..."

Torrey glanced around, noticing that most of the equipment and utensils were state-of-the-art. Alice's sci-fi culinary world was light years ahead of everyone else's, of course.

"I was wondering when you'd finally decide to get some practice in," said Alice. "You can't expect to defeat me by lounging around for three days!"

"Actually, I just came here to make some breakfast. I wasn't even thinking about the match," said Torrey, his stomach growling as if on-cue.

"I'd offer you some of my dish, but anchovies for breakfast sounds terrible. I know! Let's go out to eat!" said Alice, suddenly excited. 

Torrey did some quick calculations in his head, trying to figure out his budget. I guess I could swing it...

"Sure, yeah," he decided.

"Great! There's no time to lose," said Alice, grabbing Torrey's arm and practically dragging him out of the kitchen.

"Wait! Shouldn't you clean up your mess first?" said Torrey, referring to the sink full of dirty dishes and the countertops that were covered in who knows what.

"Nah, it'll be fine. I'll just text Ryo and have him do it," said Alice.

"Aren't you at least going to try your dish?"

"No need. Our date awaits!"

Date?!

In the hallway leading to the kitchens, they ran into Ryoko Sakaki, obviously on her way to practice her dish. She flashed them both a smile.

"Hey Torrey. Alice..." she said, noticing their locked arms. The smile disappeared.

"Hey Red! Don't mind us. We're going on a date," said Alice, continuing on towards the lobby.

"D-d-date?" Ryoko stuttered. She looked at Torrey for confirmation.

"It's just breakfast," he shrugged. As far as dates went, the order of importance was obviously: dinner, lunch, and then breakfast. Breakfast was about as casual as it could get.