Ch. 98 Hojo's Bizarre Adventure (of Love), Part One

(Author's Note: Now that the fifth and final season of Food Wars is winding down, I'm facing an increasing pressure to finally read Volume 36. If I don't read it soon, the anime will spoil it for me. But if I read it now, then it will spoil the anime. I just don't know any more.)

After the first day back at school, which seemed like it would never end, the rest of the week flies by for Torrey. Classes continue to prove challenging, and every possible moment outside of class is spent preparing for the big match.

Four days isn't nearly enough time to evolve from a complete novice to an expert on a particular type of cuisine, but that does nothing to discourage Torrey. He can't remember the last time he was this excited for a match.

In the grand scheme of things, Friday's showdown with Hojo probably means nothing compared to some of Torrey's bigger matches (for example, any of the ones during the Regiment). Things were different back then, though. Torrey nearly cracked under the unbearable pressure that had threatened to take the very fun out of cooking. During the entire trip to Hokkaido, he was trying to convince himself that he was cooking FOR himself.

Now, under Erina's leadership, Totsuki feels exactly like the kind of school that it should be. Forget the deranged, nen-wielding dictator and his short-lived plans for world domination from last semester. Totsuki is scary enough as it is, when every assignment, every dish, every all-nighter could mean the difference between improving or packing your bags and heading home.

For two talented young chefs like Tormund Waldenpond and Miyoko Hojo, going toe-to-toe on the big stage in front of their peers, with their pride on the line- that's what being a Totsuki student is all about.

Friday Afternoon, 4:00 PM. One Hour Until Match Start (Miyoko Hojo)

"There's no way that chauvinistic pig in human clothing will be able to top this dish," says Hojo to herself, as she adds the finishing touches to her last practice dish. Chopped scallions and sliced cucumbers.

It's a dish that she's made dozens of times, not just for practice, but to serve to customers at her family's restaurant. One might wonder why she even bothered to prepare for this match. That's because, as confident as she is, she's also smart enough not to underestimate an opponent.

He isn't truly worthless, after all...he'll still be motivated to win. And he has managed to pull off some improbable victories in the past. If I let my guard down now...it could mean the end for a whole generation of female chefs! Three whole generations! How is it that I'm the only one immune to his charms? thinks Hojo, slamming her fist against the marble countertop in frustration. She runs a hand through her short, purple hair several times as a way to calm herself.

After taking a deep breath, she pulls up a stool and sits down at the counter. She takes a bite of the peking duck taco, and nods. This is the dish that will finally knock Torrey down from his pedestal.

I still don't get it. Just because he's kinda sorta good looking, doesn't mean that they should all be so eager to...ack! What am I thinking?!

Friday Afternoon, 4:00 PM. One Hour Until Match Start (Erina Nakiri)

"Miss Erina...are you sure you don't wish to speak with Torrey before the match? Knowing him, I'm certain that he'll still be at the dorm practicing his recipe until the very last minute," says Hisako, walking into Erina's office from her desk next door.