Ch. 67 Advancement Exams: Stage Two

The sun had yet to rise outside of the Moon's Shadow, when a loud announcement roused the students from their slumber.

"PASSENGERS, PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO PACK YOUR BAGS AND GRAB SOMETHING TO EAT. WE'LL SOON BE ARRIVING AT SAPPORO STATION. ONCE THERE, YOU WILL BOARD A BUS THAT WILL TAKE YOU THE REST OF THE WAY TO THE SITE FOR STAGE TWO."

Having already packed his bag the night before, Torrey got dressed quickly and left for the dining car. Megumi Tadokoro, who was also heading to the dining car, noticed him and tried to get his attention.

"Torrey! Great news! We've finally..."

Still half-asleep, Megumi's voice startled Torrey, and he quickly wheeled around to see who was calling out to him. Oddly enough, the train turned a corner at the exact same time, causing him to lose his balance. Trying to keep himself upright, Torrey instinctively reached out, slamming his palm against the wall and cornering Megumi.

"O-oh, Torrey...umm, this is quite a s-surprise..." she said, her cheeks bright red. She couldn't meet his gaze.

Pausing for a minute to assess the situation, Torrey was completely baffled.

The physics of it don't even make sense... he thought.

"OMG! Torrey- how could you?!" said Alice, who just now entered the room.

"What? Uh..."

Panicking thanks to Alice's reaction, Torrey froze up. Megumi was still trapped.

"I can't believe you would confess your love to another girl! While I'm standing right here!" said Alice, with her all-too-familiar pouty face.

"N-n-no, that's not what's happening here!" protested Torrey.

"Ohh..." said Megumi, her tone laced with disappointment.

"I'm not saying that you're not loveable, Megumi! I mean c'mon, you're adorable, and your cooking skills can warm anyone's heart!"

"R-really? Y-you think so?"

"Aha! So you DID mean to confess!" said Alice, pointing aggressively at Torrey.

"No, I was just being nice..."

"S-so you didn't m-mean it?" said Megumi, on the verge of tears.

"I totally meant what I said! The wall-slamming thing was kind of an accident, though."

"T-that's okay, then. B-but could you please let me go?"

Torrey looked at his hand, which was still pressed firmly against the wall. He quickly let go.

"Right. My bad."

"Sheesh, Torrey. You can't just go around accidentally wall-slamming people. It's enough to make a girl jealous," said Alice, still pouting.

"Sorry. Hey Megumi, weren't you saying something about 'great news'?" said Torrey.

"Oh yeah! We finally reached a decision," she said.

"And..." said Torrey, hoping she would elaborate.

"We, uh...decided that Soma had the best dish," said Alice, looking away bashfully.

"I see," said Torrey.

"It was really close, though! Really, really close," said Megumi, trying to be encouraging. She couldn't get a read on Torrey; his face was showing no emotion.