Ch. 86 Regiment de Cuisine: 6th Bout

"Well, um...it looks like the results are in! In a shocking upset, Soma Yukihira and Erina Nakiri somehow managed to defeat the first and second seats to claim victory for the Resistance. But it's not over yet! That's right, we still have our wild card to play. Representing Central in the sixth and final bout, will be none other than Torrey Waldenpond!" says Urara.

The rebels whoop and holler with joy. In their excitement to join Soma and Erina for a celebration, they manage to break through their iron cage, tumbling to the arena floor.

The Student Council stands idle, looking almost confused. The match was everything that they could have hoped for, other than achieving victory. Thanks to Torrey's passionate speech and strange decision, however, they don't know what to believe in.

"Wait, Kohai...that stuff you said was great and all, but even I'm a little confused. Lemme get this straight- you're gonna cook for Central in this last bout, even though you disagree with everything we've been tryin' to achieve? And you're still goin' all out?" says Rindo.

She seems to be in good spirits, all things considered. But there was no mistaking that look on her face when the results were announced... thinks Torrey.

"Yup, you got it Senpai! That sums things up rather nicely," he says, flashing her a thumbs-up. Rindo laughs and shakes her head.

"You're somethin' else, kiddo. You know that?"

"Tormund has demonstrated a remarkable sense of honor, one that I myself am striving to achieve. Perhaps I had it wrong this whole time...perhaps it is not one's lord that a samurai must swear loyalty to, but to himself. Yes...that is the true path of a warrior!" says Saito, nodding wisely.

"Why do you two sound so content? If Torrey loses, then we're finished. We'll have to finish out the year with the shame of losing our seats. If he somehow manages to win? We can't just go back to the way things were. He's obviously a loose cannon. I don't trust him," says Eizan, turning away in disgust.

"I trust him. Even I'm starting to question Azami's ideals," adds Nene, thinking carefully. "B-but not because of Torrey or anything!"

"Pfft, keep telling yourself that, Pigtails," snorts Momo. She glances over at Azami, who's finally getting up off the floor. He dusts himself off before addressing the group.

"My sincerest apologies, dear friends. I hadn't realized just how far my daughter's abilities have progressed, in such a short time," says Azami.

"Didn't you disappear from her life for like, years?" says Torrey.

"Ha! Well, call it a 'hands-off' approach to parenting. I suppose I can only blame myself for allowing her to become so...corrupted. In any event, this competition is far from over. Tormund," says Azami, giving him a serious look.

"Uh, yes? Sir."

"Though you've insulted me to no end, I'm willing to forgive your transgressions. Again! Because I'm such a magnanimous man. Just know that this only applies if you uphold your end of our bargain. Use whatever means necessary...but make sure you secure me a victory."

"I'll do my best. But our agreement didn't mention anything about wins or losses," Torrey points out. "I'm pretty sure all I agreed to do was join Central."

"Sigh...let us hold council in the waiting room. We only have a one-hour intermission until the next bout," says Azami, leading the way. Torrey follows, along with the rest of the council. Azami suddenly wheels around.