Ch. 122 Casino Night, Part Six: A Rival's Rival

When Kirari Momobami left the room, she took the tension with her. It had been building up steadily throughout the game of Spoons, only to disappear as if it had never existed in the first place.

One look around the room, and it was hard to imagine that only moments ago the fate of Totsuki was at stake. The green felt tables were lively again, as the Hyakkou students eagerly resumed their gambling ways. Ikumi and the rest of the Totsuki students continued working hard to meet the demands for appetizers. They still had a challenge to meet, but the atmosphere was completely different without Kirari and her tenacious complaints. A weight had been lifted; now they were free to do work without the added pressure of satisfying the whims of a dictator.

Even the table where Spoons had taken place was quickly reverted to a blackjack table, as the staff for this hall didn't want to waste a moment of potential profits. Yumeko Jabami jumped right into the first hand, while Torrey, Rindo, and Mary Saotome stood near her and watched the game with mild interest.

"So that's it, huh? She shows up, declares war on Totsuki, and then leaves just like that?" says Torrey.

"That's our President for you. I'm actually impressed that you managed to keep her entertained for that long," said Mary, with a shrug.

"I figured she'd at least stick around to observe things. I mean, Erina's still here," said Torrey, gesturing towards her. Oddly enough, she had looked more composed during the high stakes match than she did now, pacing around awkwardly and sneaking glances at Torrey.

"Call it a difference in managerial styles. She did well to beat such an accomplished gambler. I can't recall even a rumor about Kirari losing a match. Ever," said Mary. "I'm pretty sure the rest of the Council is still here though, and they usually do all of her work anyway."

"Don't tell me you're disappointed, Kohai? I haven't forgotten about that comment you made. Something about their President being 'kinda hot'..." said Rindo.

"I'm not! Someone can be 'kinda hot' and still give you the creeps, you know? Her eyes were scary," said Torrey, as if he was remembering a nightmare.

"True, true. I don't disagree, either. Objectively speaking, she's a very attractive woman," said Rindo.

"..."

"You're picturing something lewd, aren't you?" said Mary.

"So are you and Yumeko like besties or something? Wasn't there some guy here with you two earlier?" said Torrey, changing the subject.

"You aren't the first person to forget his name. But don't worry about Suzui, he's not important. And no, Yumeko and I are certainly not besties," said Mary, crossing her arms.

"Mary-chan! How rude!" said Yumeko, turning in her seat to face them. Until then, she had seemed completely preoccupied with her match.

"Definitely besties," said Rindo, nodding. "We've got a few tsunderes around here, too."

"You can say that again. Well, we should probably head over to new hall soon. Don't want to miss the next round of appetizers," said Torrey.

"Now we're talkin'! C'mon, let's go before..."

"Wait, Torrey-san!" said Yumeko. She was already standing beside them.

"...before we get ourselves into even more trouble," Rindo finished, with a face palm for effect.

"You already lost all your chips?!" said Mary.