Interlude: High School of the Dead, Part One

(Author's Note: I wanted to do another Halloween chapter and take a break from the exam ark, but this doesn't really fit into the story. It worked out great last year because Torrey transferred to Totsuki during the Fall. Since the story has only progressed to December-ish of his first year, just imagine that this interlude is taking place in an alternate timeline or something. You know, because of quantum mechanics.)

            Totsuki Campus- Friday, October 13th , 6:15 pm

            The sun was just beginning to set over Totsuki, bathing the campus grounds in a purplish twilight. It was always a strange time of day, that transition period between light and darkness. Some people believe, in fact, that the strangest events wait until twilight to unfold...

            Torrey felt like a zombie, wandering the halls aimlessly, hours after most students had gone home. Staying late to perfect a recipe, Torrey now found himself both tired and hungry. In other words, brain dead.

            This aimless wandering ended up taking him near the Bowl Society Room. He was startled from his stupor, by the sound of a familiar voice calling out to him.

            "Torrey? What are you doing here?" said Ikumi Mito.

            Most of the BowlSoc members had long since left the clubroom, but as the de facto leader, Ikumi had stayed behind to tidy up the room and take inventory of their ingredients. She looked absolutely gorgeous, her alluring figure illuminated by the last rays of sunlight filtering in through the hall windows.

            "Gwah? Ikumi? Oh crap, I didn't even realize how far I'd wandered."

            "O-oh...so you didn't come to visit," said Ikumi, frowning.

            "No. But I'm glad to see you!" said Torrey, recovering quickly.

            "So am I," said Ikumi, now smiling. "I gotta ask, though. Why are you here?"

            "I had this sudden urge to try a new recipe after class, and totally lost track of time. Right now, I'm actually just looking for some coffee," said Torrey.

            "Pretty sure there's a coffee machine in the lounge, down the hall. C'mon, I'll show you," said Ikumi, gesturing for Torrey to follow her.

            After leaving the lounge, with a cup of coffee in hand, Torrey was feeling much better. Ikumi, noticing his improved mood, decided to capitalize on the opportunity as they walked the halls together.

            "H-hey, Torrey..." she said, coyly.

            "What's up?"

            "Since it's getting dark, would you mind walking me home?" said Ikumi, hopefully.

            "Sure, no problem. I never figured you for the type to be afraid of the dark, though," said Torrey.

            "That's not it at all! It's just...well it's not safe for someone like me to be walking around at this hour," said Ikumi.

            "Someone cute, you mean?"

            "That's not what I meant! Wait, you think I'm..."

            Just then, a blood-curdling scream echoed down the hall. Torrey jumped back, spilling a good amount of coffee on his white Totsuki shirt.

            "Damn it!" he said. "This'll stain for sure."

            "Forget the shirt! It sounds like someone needs help!" said Ikumi, taking charge and rushing onward.