Ch. 37 A Cut Above

Ryoko Sakaki heated the heavy saucepan over a low flame, adding cooking oil, crushed garlic, finely chopped onions, fresh chopped tomatoes, and her special fermented rice and shrimp mixture.

            The rice and shrimp had been fermenting together with bamboo shoots for three days in tightly sealed jars, the amount of time necessary for creating a delicious flavor.

            This mixture was the focus of the dish- Ryoko was simply serving it over hot rice and vegetables. As she was finishing the plating, she heard a knock at the door. She saw Torrey peering in through the small window, and beckoned him inside the cooking hall.

            "Woah!" he said, immediately pinching his nose after entering the room. The scent was reminiscent of rotten, putrefied garbage.

            "Don't jump to conclusions just yet! I promise it'll be good," said Ryoko.

            "Oh I wasn't doubting you. If I've learned anything from working with Nao Sadatsuka, it's that you can't judge a dish by its smell. What is this, anyway?" he said, eyeing his plate with curiosity.

            "This is Balo-Balo, otherwise known as Burong Hipon. It's a Kapampangan dish highlighting the distinct flavor of fermented shrimp and rice."

            "Ooh...interesting. I've always been curious to try one of your specialty dishes," said Torrey.

            "Really?" said Ryoko. She slid him a bowl, and they sat down together at the kitchen counter. Part of her had always wanted to cook for him, but part of her had been too nervous.

            "Yeah, you mentioned that your family owns a fermented goods shop, but you've never made anything like this for me. What a tease!"

            "Hey! You're the tease," she said, looking away.

            "Am I?"

            "Mhm, just ask any girl on campus. But anyways, go ahead and dig in."

            "Itadakimasu!" said Torrey, following her cue. Though he had just eaten, the taste of this dish was unlike anything he'd ever had. He wasted no time finishing the bowl. Ryoko giggled as she watched him eat.

            "Amazing! The sauce is so smooth and tart, but there's a subtle cheesiness to it. I didn't know such a flavor existed...I have to learn this technique!"

            "If you want, I can show you how to make it sometime. It's pretty simple, but you might want some tips on the fermentation process. I'm basically an expert," she said with a wink.

            "That'd be great! We should have lunch together more often. Is this why you don't eat at the cafeteria with everyone else?"

            "It's not like I'm avoiding them or anything. I just feel like I really need the practice. I'd be nice to have the luxury of a cafeteria meal, but I can't allow myself to indulge. I've got a long way to go towards being the best that I can be," she said.

            "I get that. But now you're making me feel guilty. I might have to start skipping the cafeteria, too."

            "Oh please, you're a natural. Even after missing out on the entire Totsuki middle school curriculum, you still make everything look easy in the kitchen," said Ryoko, finally admitting that she was a little bit jealous. "Of course, you're welcome to join me in here whenever you'd like."

            "Thanks for the praise, but if you didn't notice, my Shokugeki record is 1-1. I'm not exactly lighting up the leaderboards."

            "But obviously that loss was complete..."