Ch. 76 Regiment de Cuisine: 1st Bout

The strange thing about time is that it's always moving forward at the same speed, and yet, this never seems to be the case. Time flies when you're having fun, or when you're busy. Time drags on, and on, and on, when you're overwhelmed with stress.

While the month leading up to the Advancement Exams had been agonizingly slow for Torrey, the month in between Stage Three and the Regiment de Cuisine was over before he knew it. It should be noted that Torrey was not having fun at this time; he was simply busy.

Being on the Council was certainly a privilege, but that did not exempt him from his exams. While Erina and the last of the Resistance traveled north on the Moon's Shadow, training hard for the upcoming battle, Torrey was breezing through Stage Four and Stage Five of the standard exam.

Once he passed these minor obstacles, the real work began. Mornings were spent with Saito, completing the old samurai workout routine (100 squats, 100 pushups, 100 sit-ups, and a 6.2 mile run) in below-freezing conditions. Afternoons were spent with Azami, who personally trained Torrey in the art of gourmet. The only free time Torrey had was in the evenings, which he often used to continue practicing the techniques learned from Azami (much to the dismay of Rindo, Momo, and Nene, who were each hoping to spend quality time with Torrey in Hokkaido).

Cooking with Azami was both a blessing and a curse. Torrey was introduced to high-quality ingredients that he never knew existed, and cutting-edge techniques that only a former Council 3rd Seat like Azami could possess. However, there were times when Torrey caught glimpses of the monster that had raised Erina.

"Not good enough!"

"Disgusting!"

"Again! Until you've mastered it!"

More than a few of Torrey's completed dishes were sent flying across the room. Of course, Torrey preferred that reaction to the OTHER one, where Azami would take one bite of a dish, and immediately command Torrey to do the same before throwing it in the trash.

Making the most of cheap ingredients and never wasting food- these were the two core tenets of Torrey's cooking philosophy. Understandably, it was difficult for him to break away from that, and he was hesitant to follow Azami's instructions at the start of his training.

By the end of the month, he was obeying Azami's commands without a second thought. Another thing that should be noted- at no point during this month did Torrey see his Resistance friends.

******************************************************

"Everyone! Are you ready to cheer the heroes of our favorite administration on to victory? The Council of Ten is getting ready to make their entrance. Let's greet them with a big cheer for Central. Here they come!" said Urara into the mic.

The venue for the Regiment de Cuisine, on the southern tip of Rebun island, was packed with students who had already passed their exams. Past the far side of the stage on which the chefs would compete, a wide window gave a spectacular view of Mount Rishirifuji. It was truly an epic stage, foreshadowing the epic battle yet to come.

Along with the rest of the Council, Torrey stepped out of the tunnel and into the arena lights, to thunderous applause. Everyone in the building, minus the small crowd of failed resisters, was cheering for Central.

"Dean Azami!"

"Tsukasa-Senpai!"

"Rindo-Senpai, notice me!"