Ch. 15 The Morning After

Torrey awoke while the morning sunshine was still filtering in through massive windows. Opening one eye lazily, he scanned the room from his spot at the marble countertop. The discomfort from spending a night sleeping there finally kicked in. I slept here? He jumped up far too quickly, and the headrush forced him to lean against the counter for support.

Once the feeling subsided, he gave the room a proper look-over. The kitchen was a mess, with dirty dishes and utensils lying everywhere. Butter and eggs were sitting out. There were also cakes, brownies, and pie. A girl sat nearby, slumped over the counter just like Torrey had been. Suddenly, the door slammed open.

"Miss Erina! Miss Erina! Are you..." Hisako Arato burst into the room, stopping when she saw Torrey. She glanced over at the girl, who was just beginning to stir.

"Hisako...it's too early...for such a racket" Erina said, lifting her head briefly before resting it back on the countertop. She was still in costume, but her honey-blonde hair covered most of her backside. A witch's hat sat on the ground near her feet.

"By the gods! What happened here?!" Hisako was appalled.

Torrey rubbed his eyes. "We did some more baking after the competition. I guess we passed out before cleaning up. Sorry..."

"More baking? Four rounds of competition wasn't enough for you?"

"Hehe, I guess we went a little overboard. It was Erina's idea, actually. She wanted some help with her baking."

"She's a perfectionist when it comes to these sorts of things. It's not like her to ask for help, though. Strange..." Hisako trailed off. "Wait, you slept here? Together?"

"I guess. What do you mean 'together'? That sounds lewd..."

"It is lewd! You need to leave right this minute! If anyone finds out that Erina had a boy over last night...there will be no end to the unsavory rumors! Gasp! What if her grandfather finds out?"

"I think you're overreacting, Hisako. The evidence speaks for itself," Torrey said, gesturing to the messy kitchen. "Nothing lewd happened here last night."

Hisako took a look around, and nodded. "All right. But I still don't think her grandfather would approve. We could all be in big trouble."

Hisako, who'd obviously returned home after the party, had changed from her nurse's outfit into more conservative secretary garb. She wore a black pencil skirt, a white blouse, and thin-framed glasses. She doesn't usually wear glasses...is she trying to look more like a secretary?

Erina finally sat up, rubbing her eyes in the process.

"Waaah! Torrey? You're still here? Wait..." she looked around the kitchen. "Did we..."

"Bake too many sweets? Yeah, we did." Torrey said.

"I see...well I apologize for keeping you so late. It was negligent on my part, as your host."

"Don't worry about it, I had a good time last night."

"Torrey! Phrasing!" Hisako said. "Miss Erina, I'll escort him out the back gate immediately."

"Please make haste. My grandfather will probably be looking for me. Oh, and Torrey..." Erina said.

"Yes?"