Ch. 26 Rise of a Rebellion

It was Saturday morning, and Torrey was once again the first to arrive in the kitchen. Ms. Fumio had officially moved Erina into Ryoko's room, so Torrey had enjoyed a good night's rest in the comfort of his own bed.

He immediately noticed the note laying on the counter.

I'm off to challenge Eizan Senpai to a Shokugeki. I left some curry in the fridge for everyone. Reheat it in the microwave and enjoy.

Signed,

Soma Yukihira

Curry for breakfast? Eh, why not? thought Torrey as he filled a bowl and placed it in the microwave. 1:30...1:29...1:28...

"Wait, whaaat?! he yelled, finally realizing what he'd actually read. Yuki suddenly burst into the kitchen, her room being the closest on the first floor.

"You'd better have a damned good reason for waking me up this early on a Saturday morning! What's the big idea?"

"Just take a look at this!" said Torrey, thrusting the slip of paper at her.

"Whaaat?!" she yelled. This process continued as the other residents were drawn to the kitchen by all the shouting, one or two at a time until everyone had seen the note.

"What is Yukihira thinking?" said Erina, just as Hisako was charging into the room.

"Miss Erinaaa! I just heard that Polaris is going to be c-c-c-closed, and in only ten days! The second I heard that, I was overwhelmed with worry for you Miss."

"C-calm down, Hisako. Calm down! That is an issue, yes, but we have a larger problem. Yukihira has challenged Eizan to a Shokugeki!"

"Whaaa?!"

They flicked on the TV just in time to hear the official announcement.

"The Shokugeki has been officially approved! Etsuya Eizan has accepted the challenge, and it will be starting momentarily!"

"Damn it!" said Torrey, slamming his fist onto the counter. Everyone looked surprised by his outburst.

"Take it easy. It was a rash decision on Soma's part, but there's no need to get so worked up about it," said Ryoko, placing a comforting hand on Torrey's shoulder.

"Oh I know, I think it's awesome that he's fighting for Polaris!"

"T-then why are y-you s-so angry?" said Megumi.

"Because, I need to leave for work right now and I won't be able to watch the fight..."

"Aww man," said Yuki. "That blows."

"I guess there's a lot riding on this one. Enjoy the show...oh hey, does anyone want me to bring them back a sandwich?" said Torrey, already sick of his freebies.

"Can I get, uh...a meatball sub with extra onions and garlic sauce?" said Ryoko.

"Of course, it's..."

"How can you two be talking about sandwiches at a time like this!" said Hisako. Erina was shaking her head in disapproval.

"Your flippancy is very unbecoming," she said.

"Right, sorry. I'll see you guys later. I hope Soma annihilates that little creep."

************************************************