Ch. 52 When Life Gives You Potatoes

As he set a plate down in front of Erina, wearing his signature grin, Soma was confident that he finally created something that would make her admit she liked his cooking.

Erina's violet eyes quickly passed over the dish, before they locked onto Soma's. She hadn't even tried it yet, and she already looked displeased.

"My instructions were quite clear, Yukihira. 'Make a dish that highlights the best qualities of your chosen potatoes.' Yet here they are, sitting quietly to the side as your beef tenderloin medallions dominate the plate."

"Hold on a sec. Everyone loves meat and potatoes, right? Being a star side dish- that's what these potatoes were meant for!" said Soma, trying to defend himself. "You've just gotta try it first."

At that point, Hisako leaned over to whisper into Erina's ear.

"Miss Erina, he's worked so hard on this. The least you could do is try it."

"Who's side are you on here, Hisako?!" said Erina, raising her voice.

"Aack! Sorry Miss Erina, I didn't mean to..."

"Fine. I'll withhold my judgment until I've tasted the dish. Just know that I'm not expecting much."

"I can live with that," said Soma. Erina turned sharply to give him a look, before cutting a slice of beef and dipping it into the risotto styled potatoes.

She closed her eyes as she took the first bite, focusing her other senses so that she could identify all the different flavors of the dish. No images appeared in her head, and she opened her eyes in shock. Then she took another bite, waited a minute, then took another. Still nothing.

"Oh-ho, it must be good if you took that many bites!" said Soma.

Hisako looked frightened; she'd never known Erina to take more than one bite before passing her judgment.

"It tastes as if...no, that's not right. Maybe more like...no, that won't do. Hmm..." said Erina, wracking her brain.

Why can't I taste anything? I watched him season the beef properly, and this potato risotto should have a comforting and mildly buttery aftertaste. Even Yukihira couldn't have messed this dish up THAT badly.

"I apologize; it seems I won't be able to give a proper evaluation of this dish. Hisako, would you be so kind as to taste it in my stead, and offer your opinion?" said Erina, sliding the plate over to her aide.

"C-certainly, Miss Erina. I would be honored to take your place. But why can't you...oh. Oh dear," said Hisako, realizing the problem.

"What gives? Just tell me if it's good or not. Even if you hate it," said Soma, looking at Erina.

Torrey, who managed to finish his dish before most of his peers, despite the late start, was standing behind Soma in line to present.

"Soma, I'm guessing you've burnt your tongue before?" he said.

"Tons of times! Just yesterday on some green tea, as a matter of fact. It always makes everything else taste...ohhh. Bwahaha! Nakiri burnt her tongue!" said Soma, now rolling on the floor.

"Cut it out! It's not funny! Not funny in the least!" said Erina, flipping her long honey-blonde hair with a signature sassy flourish.

"I'm so sorry, Miss Erina! I should have realized sooner that it would interfere with your tasting duties," said Hisako, bowing humbly.

"Err, don't fret Hisako. It was my mistake, anyway."

"It's like, super obvious that Erina's inexperienced. That's why she relies on her tongue so much," said Alice, next in line after Torrey.