Ch. 95 Even Though I Turned Down A Council Seat, I Still Had to Do Their Work

"Phew...was that the last of 'em?" Soma asks. He's walking beside Torrey, as the pair of first-years head back to Erina's office.

"Let me double check...yeah, that's it," says Torrey, taking a moment to glance at their assigned list of research societies. "But I can't shake the feeling that we messed up somehow."

"Don't sweat it. Nakiri gave us the job, right? So if we messed up, it's all on her."

"I'm too tired to lecture you on that terrible logic right now," says Torrey.

It's 5:43 pm, and it had taken well over two hours to visit each of the societies and review the budget proposals with their leaders.

"Gotta admit, I'm kinda surprised you stuck around for this. After turning down that council seat, it's not like you really owe her anything," says Soma.

"I know that. She's my friend. I'm not helping her out of obligation," says Torrey, without hesitation.

"Ah man. I hate to say it, but I guess she's my friend, too."

"It's the least we could do. She's probably stressed out of her mind with all the new responsibilities. I'm glad we could help make her life a little easier," says Torrey.

"True. Council or no council, I'd have probably helped her anyway. Even with our rocky past..."

"You've mentioned it before. Sounds like it was a pretty bad relationship," says Torrey, nodding.

"I guess it...hey! It wasn't a relationship! It wasn't even a friendship! It was pure, mutual hatred!"

"I'm just teasing."

"It's not funny. I still can't get her to admit that she likes my cooking."

"Well obviously she'd never admit it, but I'm pretty sure it was your dish that convinced her to take charge of the rebel forces and lead them against her Father. Isn't that an even better compliment?"

"Nope. I want it in words."

"You're both so stubborn, that's probably..."

"Impossible? Don't say that."

"Maybe it is, but that just gave me an idea for our upcoming Shokugeki."

"OUR Shokugeki? Even I'm not thinking about that right now. You still gotta get through Hojo first!" says Soma.

"I know, but hear me out. I think you'll like this. Instead of doing an official Shokugeki in front of the whole school...we hold it at Polaris. And instead of getting three judges..."

"I see where this is going, and you're right. I do like this!"

"Told you. We ask Erina to judge; but she doesn't watch us cook."

"She doesn't?!" says Soma, now hung up on every word of Torrey's.

"Nope, cuz then she'd recognize both of our dishes. Instead, we ask her to do a blind taste test."

"Whoa! Is that even allowed?"

"Duh, it's not official, remember?

"Oho! My man," says Soma, ruffling Torrey's hair. "Only you could come up with something this crazy!"

"I was also thinking about our last match and the...er...unfortunate results. This way, there's no mistaking the true winner!"

"I'm pumped! Let's have the match tonight!"