Ch.9 Shokugeki No Torrey

In the minutes leading up to the match, Torrey's nerves were at an all-time high. After racing back to campus for ingredients, his heart was pounding faster than the speed of light. Time wasn't the only factor; when Soma told him that the entire school would be watching him go toe-to-toe with a student council member, he nearly panicked. If he'd taken the time to consider his situation, things would have seemed even worse. He'd been so caught up in the challenges of his first day, he almost forgot that he was in a new country, at a new school, with new faces everywhere. Now that his first Shokugeki had begun, he was out of the proverbial fire, and into the frying pan.

            However, when Urara announced the official start of the match, Torrey felt as calm as ever. None of these things crossed his mind. Not the large arena packed with students, not the cute emcee, not even the judges who were watching his every move as they waited for his completed dish. With all of the necessary tools and ingredients now in front of him, all he had to do...was bake.

            He started by greasing three separate baking pans. Beer, butter, and chocolate were added to a large saucepan over medium-low heat, and after this melted, it was removed from the stove and combined with milk powder and cocoa. He whisked the mix and set it aside. The oven was set to 350 degrees.

********************************************************************************************

            "I wonder what he's making. Did he just add beer?" asked Ryoko Sakaki. She was seated between Soma Yukihira and Megumi Tadokoro somewhere in the middle section of the arena. The angle was perfect to view both competing chefs at work.

            "It could be a stout cake," figured Soma, "but this baking stuff is beyond me. It's really making me wanna practice!" He suddenly stood up, with fire in his eyes.

            "Hey Red, down in front! I'm missin' the competition here!" a voice yelled from behind them.

            "EEP! Soma!" Megumi grabbed his shirt sleeve to pull him back to his seat.

            "Oops, sorry."

            "Wait... there's a competition going on?"

            They turned to face the students behind them. One kid was furious, his features distorted and veins nearly bursting from his forehead. His friend had just looked up from his Nintendo 3DS.

            "Hey Jonny! Geez, what are you bringin' that thing in here for? This is a great matchup!" Soma greeted the gamer.

            "I almost forgot! It's the new transfer student and Momo-senpai, right? Shoot, I need to find a save point..."

            "Jonny, you know this clown?" The boy's companion asked.

            "Yeah, everyone knows Soma! You should really get out more, dude." Jonny said, his focus back on the game. His friend finally relaxed, and shook his head.

            "You're somethin' else, you know that?

*********************************************************************************************

            After seeing Torrey burst through the arena doors at the last minute, it took Momo a great deal of effort to keep a straight face. I guess Rindo didn't bother to explain all the rules...I almost feel bad for the guy. She didn't dwell for long- she had an opponent to crush. "C'mon Butchy, let's make him wish he never met us."

            She set the oven to 350 degrees, before buttering several round cake pans and lining them with parchment paper. Flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt were then sifted into a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, she stirred mashed bananas, sour cream, and vanilla together and set it aside. Next, she took the electric mixer, fitted it with the paddle attachment, and beat butter, sugar, and eggs together. It was time to add in the flour mixture. After a few minutes of beating this together, she folded the banana mixture in with a rubber spatula.