Ch. 101 A Night to Remember (Part One)

Torrey awakens with a sharp pain in his skull. The room is bright. Too bright. It's as if the sun's rays are cleaving through the curtains.

He wiggles his nose, detecting the unmistakable scent of bacon rising from the first floor kitchen. Even in a large building like the Polaris dormitory, no one is safe from the smells of the kitchen, no matter where their rooms are. And that's a good thing, except for the semi-frequent occasions when Soma decides to make a grotesque mashup.

As he rises from the bed, vertigo kicks in and sends Torrey toppling back onto his pillow.

"Ngh..." he mutters. With a muddled mind, nothing is making much sense at this point. The only thing he seems to understand is that the bacon is on the floor below his, and that he's in no shape to make the journey.

After lying still for a few minutes, Torrey feels something stirring on the other side of the bed.

"Ngh..." mutters a large lump beneath the sheets.

How does this keep happening? Torrey wonders, momentarily forgetting his role as a harem protagonist. Having been in several situations like this one already, frankly, he's not even surprised. Calmly, he reaches over to lift the covers, finding a half-naked Ryoko Sakaki. Naked from the waist up, that is

Torrey blinks several times, snapping a mental picture.

"Good morning," he says casually.

"Ohio, gozaimasu," says Ryoko, her eyes still closed. Being in a stupor herself, it takes Ryoko a moment to process the situation. Once she does, she quickly leaps out of bed.

"Heh?! What the...T-T-Torrey?!"

Ryoko is now standing beside the bed, having failed to realize that she's missing her top. Suddenly she looks down.

"EEEEEK!"

She yanks the covers from the bed, using them to shield herself from Torrey's eyes.

"Yeah, I guess that's an appropriate reaction," says Torrey.

"W-w-what happened? Why am I in your room? Why does...ngh," says Ryoko, reaching out to steady herself against the bed. A quick scan of the room reveals Torrey's clothes and her own spread out across the floor. There are also several large, empty bottles.

"I think we drank too much of your rice juice," says Torrey. "In fact...all I really remember is drinking rice juice."

"Torrey, that wasn't juice. Everyone just calls it rice juice because, well..."

"Ohhh! Now I get it."

"Yeah..."

"It's okay though, right? We didn't, uh...do anything, did we?"

"It'd be a lot cooler if we did," mutters Ryoko.

"What?"

"I said it's a lot cooler in here."

"Probably because you aren't wearing a top."

"Right," says Ryoko. She awkwardly shuffles over to grab it, and waits for Torrey to look away. She pouts.

"What? I already saw you without...fine," says Torrey, laying back down to look at the ceiling.

"Thank you," says Ryoko, getting dressed. "And we probably shouldn't tell anyone about this."