Ch. 45 A Minor Misconception

The next morning, Torrey woke to the sound of his front door taking a beating. Thwack Thwack Thwack. The room was still enveloped in darkness. Why does this keep happening? he thought, rolling out of bed and throwing on a t-shirt. Assuming it was Rindo, he wanted to avoid another sexual harassment scenario.

            When he opened the door, he was surprised to see Momo Akanegakubo, the council 3rd seat. Dressed in her white Totsuki chef's coat and matching pants, and clutching her stuffed cat Butchy, she looked like she was about to get serious.

            "Hey Momo, what's up?" said Torrey, covering his yawn.

            "Tor-myan, I need your help. Tomorrow's the annual Totsuki Bake Sale. It's a huge event, and I can't afford to disappoint my customers."

            "Huh? I didn't hear anything about a bake sale..."

            "Well now you have. Last year we sold over 1,000 cakes, 7,000 cupcakes, 10,000 brownies, and 20,000 cookies."

            Torrey's eyes practically jumped out of their sockets.

            "Whaaat? Are you serious?"

            "Those were just rookie numbers; I expect that we'll easily top them this year. My reputation has only increased since then, so the demand is even greater."

            The council is scary! Wait a minute, I'm a part of the council...is this the kind of responsibility I'll be stuck with from now on? Oh geez...

            "Okay, sure...I got nothing else to do. Who else is helping?"

            "Do you honestly believe that I could trust anyone else with this? It'll just be the two of us," she said coyly, averting her bright green eyes and nervously tapping her fingers together.

            "And you're sure we can manage?"

            "I know it! I've improved a lot in the past year, and you're basically my protégé, so it'll be like having two me's there," said Momo confidently.

            "All right, then let's do it!"

            "I knew I could count on you! Hurry up and get changed. I'll help myself to a seat on the couch while I wait," said Momo. She hopped onto the plush sofa, and turned on the LED plasma TV. It was still on the food network.

            "What do you think Butchy? Yeah, I agree...that dish is DEFINITELY cute."

*********************************************************

            Rindo got up as soon as the sun did, with a big cat-like grin on her face. She got dressed in a hurry, putting on her favorite beige sweater and covering it with her purple Totsuki uniform. It was a big day, after all.

            Can't wait to try all of these sweets, she thought.

            She'd been looking forward to the Totsuki Bake Sale for a long time- or rather, she'd been looking forward to the day BEFORE, when she'd have the opportunity to taste-test the goods. Last year she'd attempted to try one item from every batch, tapping out sometime in the early afternoon, however.

            Today, I'm gonna make it all the way through. I've improved quite a bit since then, she thought, feeling her stomach.

            Her abdominal muscles had remained surprisingly well-toned for someone who ate as much as she did; Rindo took full advantage of her lightning-quick metabolism. Though she hadn't gained any weight, her body had gotten used to consuming larger portions of food.