Ch. 88 The Way Things Were

Having just lost the biggest Shokugeki of his young Totsuki career, Torrey stands upon the stage where Azami's would-be empire crumbled into ruin. He touches the silver badge that's still fastened to his white collared shirt, and laughs. Once a symbol of power, this little badge no longer has any meaning.

He looks around, enjoying the sight of his Resistance friends celebrating their well-deserved victory. Though it's only been a few months for him at the world's greatest cooking academy, he's already made enough memories to last a lifetime. Looking at the big picture, his journey is just beginning...

"What are ya' waitin' for? Get on in there and join your pals!" says Rindo, slapping Torrey across the back.

"Gaah! Geez, Senpai...I'd rather let them have their fun right now," says Torrey. He sees that Rindo's wearing only a towel, and takes a mental snapshot before looking away. (Note: due to Azami's last release of 'the gifting', all female students were given towels)

"Don't tell me you're still feelin' guilty about everything?" says Rindo, raising her only visible eyebrow. The other is hidden beneath a lock of scarlet hair.

"No, no. I'm definitely past that. Still, I never really belonged to either side."

"Hmm...mhm...that's deep," says Rindo, nodding wisely.

"Say, how are you feeling after all of this? You only teamed up with Azami for kicks, but now you've lost your council seat..."

"No regrets from this Senpai," says Rindo, confidently jabbing a thumb against her generous chest. "The drama was a whole lotta fun, and then some. Although I mostly have you to thank for that."

"Thanks, Senpai. What will you do now?"

"I guess it's time for me to ride off into the sunset..."

"You're joking?"

"Of course I'm joking. It's hard to believe, but us third-years still got another semester left. I'll probably just relax and enjoy my last days at Totsuki. I can picture it now- me wakin' up in your bed every morning, while you cook breakfast..."

"Why am I the one cooking breakfast in this situation?!"

"Aha! So you admit that THAT'S the issue here. I almost figured you'd protest more about the 'me wakin' up in your bed' part."

"W-well...I just...damn. That was a mean trick, Senpai."

"Hey, I just thought of something! Now I won't have to worry about dealin' with all that Council paperwork!" says Rindo.

"Don't you usually just dump it off to Tsukasa, anyway?" says Torrey, for once appreciating Rindo's ability to randomly switch topics.

"Haha, true. I guess he's the real winner here. Hey, speak of the devil."

Tsukasa approaches them in his boxer briefs, looking as nervous as ever. There's a stark contrast between his snow-white hair and his bright red complexion. (Note: The male students were NOT given towels)

"T-torrey..."

"Whoa! Is this a confession? I wasn't expectin' to have to compete with YOU for Kohai's affection!" says Rindo, barely containing her laughter.

"T-that's not what this is! I just...I just wanted to thank you, Torrey. You helped me realize that cooking is actually fun. When I remember that, it's not nearly as stressful..."